Thread: Chamonix 8x10 vs K.B. Canham JMC 8x10

Chamonix 8x10 vs K.B. Canham JMC 8x10

Hi everyone, I'm new about the forum and i start to make a question about two cameras. It's my first experience about 8x10 large format camera, and I looking for one. I see the Chamonix 8x10 and I think is very good, but after i see the K.B. Canham JMC 8x10 and I thinked it was good too... What you think? Thanks for help me!

Octogenarian

Re: Chamonix 8x10 vs K.B. Canham JMC 8x10

They are both fine cameras. You can't go wrong with either one.

Each has it's own unique design features, but basically it comes down to whether you prefer a mostly wooden camera or an all metal camera?

The Canham is made in USA, and the Chamonix in China.

Price and availability are the determining factors. Only you can make the final decision as to which one to purchase.

I've never used the Chamonix but I did start my foray into 8x10 work with a Canham JMC. I found its rigidity somewhat lacking. Though to be fair it is quite a lightweight camera. I later switched to an Arca F-Metric which was much more rigid (and not all that much heavier, but much more expensive!).

You might also check into a Wilderness, there was a thread on it here a short time ago. It's made in China and is all-metal. The design looks very nice though I've never seen one in person.

Scott Davis

I've not used the JMC, but I have three Canham wood field cameras (5x7, 5x12 and 14x17). I love them - each has its quirks, as Gem said, but I wouldn't trade them for anything else. There's a certain combination of lightness and ease of use that I like about them. Some folks don't like the locks for the various movements, specifically the bed extensions, but I find them to be very positive and secure. If you have the ability to get your hands on one before you have to commit to buying, that would be the very best thing.

You might also consider an 8x10 from Richard Ritter. Much lighter than either of the other options and very well made by all accounts (no personal experience though)
    http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I've not used the JMC, but I have three Canham wood field cameras (5x7, 5x12 and 14x17). I love them - each has its quirks, as Gem said, but I wouldn't trade them for anything else. There's a certain combination of lightness and ease of use that I like about them. Some folks don't like the locks for the various movements, specifically the bed extensions, but I find them to be very positive and secure. If you have the ability to get your hands on one before you have to commit to buying, that would be the very best thing.
    IMO, Canham wood is better than Canham metal.

Thanks all! I think that at the end I chose the Chamonix Camera.
    I think it is a great camera with good material and intuitive regulation.
    The focusing it's similar at the R.H. Phillips (that I was occasion to try), that's very good specially when you are in the focusing dark cloth. The weight it's 8.64 pound/3920g, very good!
    So, I think that the best thing is to try a lot of camera and in finaly chose the best one for what do you are to do... but it's so hard to try all. After a field trial will write my impressions. Thank's all!