Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hike to North Dome in Yosemite???

Hike to North Dome in Yosemite???

I'm planning on hiking to the top of North Dome in Yosemite in June and was wondering if any of you have done this hike and how was it. It looks like it's a level hike no uphill switchbacks or anything like that.If you have done it let me know.How long does it take.

Re: Hike to North Dome in Yosemite???

It is a moderate and pleasant hike, mostly shaded and not crowded.
    From the Porcupine Creek to North Dome, the distance is about 4.5 miles one way. After hiking downhill from the trailhead, you'll regain about the same elevation (350 feet) up to the Indian Ridge. From there it's all downhill (1000 ft) to North Dome. I'd say 3-4 hours round trip. Be sure not to miss Indian Arch, reached through a short spur trail towards the East from the crest of Indian Ridge. It is a quite uncommon granite arch. Here are some pictures of North Dome and Indian Arch.

It takes them a long time to open the road when there is so much snow.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Yes, the road may not be open yet. I have only done it by one-way hikes -- from Porcupine Flat down to the Valley. Once with the 4x5 (about 25 lbs)...Indian Rock to North Dome to Yosemite Falls and down to the Valley. With the 8x10 (about 60 lbs) I went from Porcupine to Indian Rock. Skipping North Dome, I went up the ridge a way from Indian Rock, then cross-country down to the Snow Creek Trail -- then down to the Valley via Mirror Lake.

Both were very long days that wiped me out. But beautiful country once you get to the edge of the Valley.

Vaughn

It's a pleasant and moderate hike. The only real hitch is that, unlike so many Yosemite hikes, this one ultimately heads downhill to your destination, making the return trip uphill. I always find that more difficult to gauge because it makes the return trip more difficult. There was only one section as you near the final open stretch of granite that is North Dome, where there was a bit of a tricky descent/climb. It's nothing to dissuade even an amateur hiker, just a moment where we had to actually think about how to move forward with care, unlike the rest of the open and clear trail. I hiked this (and Indian Rock Arch) from Porcupine Creek (not to be confused with Porcupine Flat, which will make for a much longer hike) with my 4x5 and digital gear without incident. As an aside, this is the only hike on which I've encountered a bear in Yosemite (on the way back, close to the road, as it was just getting dark).

My favorite write-up is here: http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-r...north-dome.htm

The views as the end are pretty damn cool, and shooting there at sunset is on my to-do list.

Last summer Tioga Road didn't open until early June and I imagine those trails were still pretty snowy and hard (impossible/impracticaal?)- even walking around Olmsted Point was tricky. By late June I think you'd be just fine. Anything in between is hard to predict.

Hey Luong, nice shot of Half Dome from North Dome.That would make a very nice B&W.

Dear QT,how long does it take to get there.I know you said three to four hours round trip but how long TO North Dome? I want to get there around 5:30-6:00 pm what time should I leave Porcupine flat to get there by 6:00pm.

We don't know your what kind of hiker you are. It's a beautiful vista - why not leave early and relax on the summit? Bring some extra water and a snack, and a headlamp for your return.

Beautiful shots of Indian Arch Tuan. I've been up there seven or eight times by one route or another, but I never knew about Indian Rock - probably the dehydration and hypoglycemia. Crest Jewel is *****!

I don't have much time in Yosemite so I'm trying to get to as many places as possible. I want to be able to get a late afternoon shot around 5:30-6:00.I don't want to be walking in the dark. Any idea's how long to North Dome?

Talking Re: Hike to North Dome in Yosemite???

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    We don't know your what kind of hiker you are.
    Wasn't this clear enough