Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dagor design? dagor clone?

Dagor design? dagor clone?

Hi,

Was the Dagor design made by other makers? Who made it and what did they call it? I am talking about true dagor - two symmetrical cemented triplets. Not some plasmats etc.

Re: Dagor design? dagor clone?

Some early G-Clarons were Dagor 6/2 design.

loujon

Hugo Meyers Double Anastigmat f6.8 / The original Schneider Symmar / Voigtlander Collinear / Ziess (I think) Armatar? They made one./Steineil Orthostigmat / Busch Stigmar / Eastern Optical Double Anastigmat / Scientific Optical (or something) Double Anastigmat.

There are a few more & by few I mean MANY.

There are many.

Suggest you buy a copy of A Lens Collector's Vade Mecum. Dan Collucci (spelling? Apologies if I got it wrong, Dan), who posts here as CC Harrison sells it, should be able to send you a copy, possibly as a download, for around $15. Ask him and then you'll be better equipped to find answers to questions like the one you just asked for yourself.

To add to the list, from Berthiot Serie III Eurygraphe, Serie VIa Perigraphe (f/14, very wide angle), Serie VIb Perigraphe (f/6.8, much narrower angle). From Boyer, Beryl, Beryl S, Emeraude.

Louis, Amatar, not Armatar. You must be from New York. There were a number of Meyer double anastigmats, some of them 4/4 double Gauss types. Spelled, usually, Aristostigmat.

In general, double anastigmat doesn't mean "Dagor" and this is true for many Goerz doppel anastigmats. Many are dialytes and, as I mentioned, there are also double Gauss types. They weren't badged double anastigmat, but Boyer made convertible f/2.8 6/4 double Gauss types.

Anything from 1900 - 1920 with an F.6.8 should be considered a Dagor design - unless proved otherwise. We forget that patent protection at the time covered a short period of years only and lens makers were still in the business of innovation and improvement so didn't spend much time on protecting "old" designs.

Thanks,

I am looking for something for ULF, Big and cheap dagot type lens.

P.S. I am from Poland, there are many german and french lenses here...

Vade Mecum can be found here: http://antiquecameras.net/lensvademecum.html

thanks
    Dan Colucci

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Łukasz Owsianka View Post
    ... I am talking about true dagor - two symmetrical cemented triplets. Not some plasmats etc.
    "Two symmetrical cemented triplets" does not make it a Dagor design.

To be dagor design, each triplet also has to be +-+, or ()() in cross section.
    Any other design is NOT dagor. One example is the already mentioned Doppel-Amatar, which like the Schneider Angulon is -+-.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Anything from 1900 - 1920 with an F.6.8 should be considered a Dagor design - unless proved otherwise. We forget that patent protection at the time covered a short period of years only and lens makers were still in the business of innovation and improvement so didn't spend much time on protecting "old" designs.
    Steven, obtain a copy of the VM and do a search on f6.8.

OP, you've been misled again.

Quote Originally Posted by Łukasz Owsianka View Post
    Thanks,

I am looking for something for ULF, Big and cheap dagot type lens.

P.S. I am from Poland, there are many german and french lenses here...
    Good luck.

As the can of Brasso said to the tin of Shinola, "I've had enough polish jokes."