Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optar 135mm Rodenstock on Super Speed Graphic DOF question...

Optar 135mm Rodenstock on Super Speed Graphic DOF question...

Question: When the lens is in the Open position, and looking through the front of the lens, should I see the aperture change when adjusted from f4.5 to f32; get smaller and larger?

The reason I ask is because my lens does not open and close when changing the aperture when in the open position and I'm not seeing the DOF sharp from front objects to rear objects when viewing the ground glass. I'm thinking this is because the aperture is not closing down when in the open position (am I making sense?).

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
    Yes. Your assumptions and expectations are correct.

Re: Optar 135mm Rodenstock on Super Speed Graphic DOF question...

At f32 you should see about a 4mm opening through the front of the lens. If not then the aperture mechanism is buggered.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Move the shutter to T and cock the lens. Release the lens. The shutter will be open.
    Now you should see straight through the lens.
    Move the aperture from one position to another. You should see the blades move.

The lens aperture does not automatically do anything on LF lenses. Where you set it is where it remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Move the shutter to T and cock the lens. Release the lens. The shutter will be open.
    Now you should see straight through the lens.
    Move the aperture from one position to another. You should see the blades move.

The lens aperture does not automatically do anything on LF lenses. Where you set it is where it remains.
    There is no T. 1000 all the way down to B. Then there is an O after the B.

I'm told that this is a Copal press shutters.

I also have the O/C lever (open /closed) but have another lever on the lower left on the front on the lens marked: x and m. What are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Carterofmars View Post
    There is no T. 1000 all the way down to B. Then there is an O after the B.

I also have the O/C lever (open /closed) but have another lever on the lower left on the front on the lens marked: x and m. What are those?
    The x/m settings are for flash synchronization. The x setting is electronic flash and the m setting delays the shutter for the few milliseconds it takes for the #5 and #25 flash bulbs to reach full brilliance.

If you are using electronic flash, always keep the lever at the x setting. Some people use tape or glue or stick a toothpick in the slot so the lever does not become accidentally moved.
    al

I don't think so. In fact, I'm sure that it isn't.

The O/C mechanism on the board is quite unique, as is the 1000 speed on a LF shutter. You wind the shutter by twisting the "lens hood", right? That is a one-of-a-kind mechanism. If the pic you posted in one of your other threads is your exact lens/shutter... you have a Graflex 1000 shutter.

The Graflex 1000 was a bit of an odd-ball shutter and has a tendency to malfunction and not be repairable. It does NOT automatically stop down. Usually it is the shutter blades that break, but if you don't see the aperture stopping down then something is broken in tbe aperture assembly.

Hey Carter... are you really located on Mars? You might want to disclose your earthy location (or alternatively, the date of your next visit to the Blue Planet) and try hooking up with someone who can talk you through the usage of your Graphic, or any other view camera. It might be a tad less frustrating for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Hey Carter... are you really located on Mars? You might want to disclose your earthy location (or alternatively, the date of your next visit to the Blue Planet) and try hooking up with someone who can talk you through the usage of your Graphic, or any other view camera. It might be a tad less frustrating for you.
    Hey brian- thanks for all the in depth. Maybe I'll look you up next time I'm in LA... what's your address?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Hey Carter... are you really located on Mars? You might want to disclose your earthy location
    I'm in NYC and Williamsburg Brooklyn.
    Thanks in advance for any advise/suggestions.
    Joe NYC
    Joe, we have a number of forum members in NYC, and I'm sure that there must be a few camera clubs with knowledgeable members. And if you decide to drop by Seattle, please bring a couple of NY bagels with you. There's Seattle Bagels out here, but after Bruger's Bagels closed in the mid-1990's, we've really been bagel-less.