Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which is the most beautiful camera in your opinion?

Which is the most beautiful camera in your opinion?

An Ebony if you're into wood; anything made by Linhof if you're into metal. Have you seen the medium-format Alpa 12WA/12SWA? (www.alpa.ch)

Ebony's website does not do justice to the beauty of their cameras. If I am not mistaken, there is a picture of an Ebony RW45 on the frontpage of Robert White's UK site (www.robertwhite.co.uk). Compare this image with the RW45 picture at www.ebonycamera.com.

Believe me, I looked long and hard when I was in search for a camera to replace my Horseman L-frame 4x5. What I finally decided on after months of research (and I work at a pro camera shop who deals in practically everything photographic) is the Ebony SV45U2. Not only is it the most versatile large format camera, in my opinion (and the asymmetrical rear tilt & swing are higly addictive!), but it is hands down the most beautiful camera out there. That deep, rich Ebony wood (from a very slow growing Persimmon tree) and the contrasting titanium hardware makes for a gorgeous work of art that doubles perfectly as a large format camera. It's as at home packed into the mountains in my LowePro Super Trekker as it is doing product or portrait photography in the studio. On location, it tends to draw a crowd, which is almost embarassing.

Many of the large format wooden field cameras out there are just plain gaudy, in my opinion. The Ebony is designed with the photographer in mind, by a photographer. It is a joy to use, and I honestly can't think of a single thing that I can't do with this camera that perhaps I could do with another.

I also have a Crown Graphic that I use for more candid portrait work, when I'm moving about and have a need for a handheld large format (such as shooting a mother with a nursing baby). For this, I don't need tilts, swings, shifts or rise/fall. I'm working on an adapter so I can just pop on my lenses which are already mounted on the Tech boards that the Ebony uses.

I think the most beautiful 35mm would be the Leica M6. The Contax G2 is quite a handsome camera as well, but for sheer simplicity and engineering, I prefer the Leica. They truly invite you to MAKE the picture, not TAKE the picture. Wonderful things for candid, unobtrusive photography!

I would like anyone who is interested in a wooden field camera to know that my experience with Ebony- as a company- has been exceptional. All of my questions were answered quickly and fully, and I have been absolutely 110% satisfied with my dealings with them. My satisfaction with the actual camera has been every bit as wonderful, and I can recommend with full confidence at least the SV45U2. If you decide to purchase one, you won't regret it.

-Scott

My peculiar views: 35 MM: Leica 1 / A Medium Format : Hasselblad SWC / M with black "C" lens. Large Format : Arca Swiss 6x9 Monolith. Would include the Sinar 4x5,5x7 and 8x10 for their superb machine work but the "green" parts need to be re-sprayed crackle BLACK as I have done (a lot of work if done correctly).