Thread: cambo sc lens and board combo

cambo sc lens and board combo

Hi,

I've checked over the threads and haven't been able to find a simple answer to my issue. I just obtained a cambo sc with 5 film holders. Now, my question is, what do I need to get up and running lens-wise. I'm stuck on being able to match up a lens with a lens board. Totally dumbfounded by the copal sizes and holes thing (sorry if I'm slow on the uptake)

I'm looking for a starter wide angle lens to use for urban and rural landscape photography. I found a 90 F4.5 CAMBONAR WITH HORSEMAN BOARD (MEGAVISION T2/T32) lens on keh.com but have no idea what lens board I would need with it and what else I would need. The lens goes for 139.00 so that gives you an idea of my budget. I've worked with medium format and I'm just trying large format out so I don't want to dive into a financial pit yet.

So, sorry for the basic question. I did look through the various beginner guides but just haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

Re: cambo sc lens and board combo

You want a Cambo board drilled to accept the shutter the lens is in. Accept no substitutes, they won't fit an SC.

You can learn about hole sizes here: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm That's sizes for, in alphabetical order, Compur, Copal, Prontor, and Seiko shutters. Ilex and Wollensak (Alphax, Rapax/Graphex) also come in sizes 0, 1, 2, .. but don't conform to the Compur/Copal standard.

Octogenarian

I looked at this lens on the KEH website. It is mounted in an electronically operated shutter.

Cambonar lenses are re-badged Schneider Apo Componon HM enlarger lenses.

It appears that this particular Cambonar lens was adapted to an electronic shutter and mounted on a Horseman board for a special application.

Spend a little more and purchase a proper wide angle lens for your Cambo SC. Keh has a wide selection of previously owned lenses at reasonable prices.

Most are mounted in Copal 0 shutters that use a 34-35mm lens board opening.

I see several 90mm lenses on the KEH site that might provide what you need, and each of them are under $300. The first is a Caltar II-N f/6.8, which is a rebadged Rodenstock Grandagon and an excellent lens, and in terms of value probably the best deal of the bunch. The second is an older Schneider Super Angulon f/8, which is still a modern wide-field lens. The third is an Ilex-Calumet Wide-Field Caltar, which was made by Ilex using a design similar to a Super Angulon. It is a good lens, and probably under-appreciated. The Seiko shutter on that lens is missing the fitting for a cable release, which is a problem, but if you can hold steady when you push the button, it might make possible (budget-wise) what would otherwise be impossible. It's the cheapest usable lens I see. I would probably spend a little more and get the Caltar II-N.

They have a very inexpensive 90mm lens that is mounted in a Sinar DB mount, which you should avoid. It cannot be mounted on a Cambo board and you'll have to find a shutter for it. It's a good deal for people who already have the Sinar DB system.

Rick "lotsa good deals at KEH at the moment" Denney

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You want a Cambo board drilled to accept the shutter the lens is in. Accept no substitutes, they won't fit an SC.
    Additional detail: For the SC you'll want the 6.41 inch square Cambo or Calumet board. It is the 11th one from the top (if I counted correctly) at:

http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm

"Accept no substitutes, they won't fit an SC."

Thanks for the great advice. I'm really going to have to think about what to do next.