Thread: Ten years is old enough...for a computer

Joshua Tree, California

Re: Ten years is old enough...for a computer

You should be flogged for waiting ten years. Amazing

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    You should be flogged for waiting ten years. Amazing
    I think he should be given a plaque. I love it when people get it done with minimalist, old, or half-broken gear.

I can't talk about computers because i just use whatever i have, and i can't always afford the best highest performance out in the market, so all what i will see is that i have 3 Apple Mac computers, 2 Macbook Pro [17" late 2008 with 4GB, and 13" late 2009" with 2GB] and 1 Mac Mini with 4GB, all of them working fine, sometimes slow sometimes fast enough, working with files up to 1-2GB, i scan some films at 6400dpi getting somewhere between 1-1.5GB and i sometimes struggle to open it.

I am still planning to buy a Mac Pro with 8GB 8-core, i saw that 12-core with 16GB, it might be so pricey but that time in the future i am able to buy many high end products including computer, so i am looking to have that 8[core and RAM] as minimum, if i will be more wealthy than i think i have to ignore that 8-core and go with higher processor computer Apple, i also might buy 8x10 LF in the future, then this will make my files even larger than 3GB maybe, also i am still putting a drum scanner Flextight in my list, and i am using 60mp digital camera, and maybe i will get 80mp or more in the future, all those will lead me that i must buy better performance computer in the market i can afford.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I am still planning to buy a Mac Pro with 8GB 8-core, i saw that 12-core with 16GB ...
    Be sure to check out benchmarks at macperformanceguide.com. Turns out that photoshop doesn't make efficient use of more than 6 cores ... in fact, right now, the 6-core mac pro actually outperforms the 12 core. Whenever you decide to buy, you can save a lot of money by learning from the guinee pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Be sure to check out benchmarks at macperformanceguide.com. Turns out that photoshop doesn't make efficient use of more than 6 cores ... in fact, right now, the 6-core mac pro actually outperforms the 12 core. Whenever you decide to buy, you can save a lot of money by learning from the guinee pigs.
    Sure, and the salesman told me to go with 8-core which is more than enough, and even he asked me to test different machines [8core, 12core, even 6core as you said], so how can i test different machines to see which can suit me or work as i want? I will tell them to put Photoshop [i think they have that on the machines, if not i will be sure they do] and i will open it on different machines, but what i should do, open 1-2GB files or trying to merge for panorama or what? The salesman told me that 12-core is almost for Video work, so for that i can't be sure in the future i can get into video as well, i have DSLR without video now but i will have one sooner or later, or i may buy a video camera Full HD for some things, but i really want to get a computer that can serve me for long term, not one for 1-2 years and then i have to upgrade or change it again and again, my current Macs served me well since 2008, and they will be in use always even if i bought another Mac computer, so i want that new Mac to be way higher more than my current so i never look back to upgrade very soon, let's say i want a computer than can handle up to 10GB of file [photo or video].

A 10gb photo file and a 10 gb video file put very different demands on the computer. All of a photo is there, as it were, at once, whereas a video usually displays only a small portion of it's content at one time. For a video machine, the more cores the merrier, whereas with a photo machine there's a sweet spot in the middle, as was recently mentioned.

Whatever you go with, you'll want get as much ram as possible, and you'll want a very fast scratch disk, perhaps a striped ssd raid array, making sure to investigate the various ssds extensively.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    A 10gb photo file and a 10 gb video file put very different demands on the computer. All of a photo is there, as it were, at once, whereas a video usually displays only a small portion of it's content at one time. For a video machine, the more cores the merrier, whereas with a photo machine there's a sweet spot in the middle, as was recently mentioned.

Whatever you go with, you'll want get as much ram as possible, and you'll want a very fast scratch disk, perhaps a striped ssd raid array, making sure to investigate the various ssds extensively.
    Hmmmm, this will leave me with an option to buy 2 computers instead of one, one for video and one for photos.
    For now as long i don't do videos i think i will go with machine for Photos, so you tell me, what specifications you want to get if you have the money for photo editing machine?

Well, I'm a PC person. (I've put together my own systems since 1992.) For my most recent PC, I spent $1500, which gave me an outstanding case, modular power supply (which means no extra cords clogging up the inside of the case), and so on. It's been about a year, though, and so I'm sure there are better options.

Mac folks can give you better advice on macs.

Questions you need to ask are:
    What size files will I work with?
    What size and quality of monitor will I want? (I use two mid-sized monitors instead of one big one.)
    What other tasks will I do with the computer?
    How am I going to back-up my files? In particular, what ports will I need? (USBIII, Firewire 800, esata...)
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Well, I'm a PC person. (I've put together my own systems since 1992.) For my most recent PC, I spent $1500, which gave me an outstanding case, modular power supply (which means no extra cords clogging up the inside of the case), and so on. It's been about a year, though, and so I'm sure there are better options.

Mac folks can give you better advice on macs.

Questions you need to ask are:
    What size files will I work with?
    What size and quality of monitor will I want? (I use two mid-sized monitors instead of one big one.)
    What other tasks will I do with the computer?
    How am I going to back-up my files? In particular, what ports will I need? (USBIII, Firewire 800, esata...)
    Well, i was thinking that my question should be in general, not necessary depends on Mac or PC specifications, almost both can come on same specifications to give almost similar performance or work, 8GB on both systems will work almost the same if all other things are the same [Processor, HDD, Graphic Card,....etc], but i think i better ask Mac users if i am on this side.

About the questions you posted to ask, i maybe give this additional information:
    - File Size: it can vary, as digital, RAW maximum i have is 60GB, so TIFF can go up to 350-500mb, with scans, well, you know scanning MF and LF @ different dpi can be up to 1-5GB, and panoramas is another story, i heard about gigapixel website, there people end up with 10-50GP [dunno how much GB are those gigapanos].

- Monitor size and quality: well, i don't have any problem here, i have 30" and 22" monitors of high end [Apple and Eizo], also have Eizo and Spyder3Studio calibrations, so i think i don't need another monitors, if so then one more of Eizo say 24" will do the job.

- Other tasks: could be printing or typing, music, video[maybe in the future], web surfing and downloading, maybe one day i may try graphic design. What else i can do with computer?

- Files backups: this is also not a problem, i have many HDDs on different sizes from 500GB to 1TB [i can add more whenever i need even 4TB HDD], i use each HDD for different applications, 2 or 3 for photos, 2 for videos, 1 for software, 1 for just backup of anything of the other main HDDs, and so on, most of those HDDs i have working with USA and Firewire800/400, i have 2 with eSata, so i never worry about space and backups because i can always go and buy more, in fact i have few HDD in smaller sizes [80-250GB] that can be cleaned and formatted to be for file transfers or backups for temporary when larger HDD are closer to be full.

So with all that, what you think i have to think about as a computer?

If it were me, I'd spend some time researching the various options. If you want to go Mac, then things are easier but more expensive. If PC, I prefer to build my own. As such, I would check enthusiast web sites, such as Tom's Hardware (and others), and check out what they're recommending. They regularly do various builds, such as the best enthusiast system for $2000. Most of these are for gaming, and so that needs to be taken into consideration. For example, you'd want more ram and not such a bleeding edge video card. You can describe what you want in the forums and usually you get pretty good feed back, and then you could post a possible package here. Doing this research is something that you should do, even if you end up going Mac, just so you can make an informed choice. I'm happy to comment on a possible build, but I don't feel like doing the hours of research needed to do this right for you.