Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Ten years is old enough...for a computer

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Ten years is old enough...for a computer

Thanks for the responses. The difference in price and available 3rd party hardware and software is substantial. I'm trying to understand why people pay so much extra money for the same performance when they can spend it in photo supplies.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The difference in price and available 3rd party hardware and software is substantial. I'm trying to understand why people pay so much extra money for the same performance when they can spend it in photo supplies.
    Don't know what you mean. Both platforms use the same peripherals. Equivalent software costs the same (photoshop for mac / photoshop for pc, etc.).

As far as why you might care about the machine you work on ... for every hour I spend with the camera, I probably spend ten working on the computer. So I don't want to skimp too much on that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    As far as why you might care about the machine you work on ... for every hour I spend with the camera, I probably spend ten working on the computer. So I don't want to skimp too much on that experience.
    And that's the crux of the matter. Some of us think that one isn't "scrimping" with a well-built PC, and that includes some of us who've owned Apple computers since 1984.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The point is that it isn't really "so much extra money for the same performance". The point is that one gets what one really wants for the money available. If I go one route only to save I few bucks, then I'm "scrimping", if I take the same route because that's what I'm happy with, then it's just being prudent.

For me, the difference in OS alone is worth the price differential and better hardware and design come as a bonus.

Fortunately we all have a choice. We can all decide and purchase what makes sense for each of us. This isn't a one size fits all world. No need to convince everyone else that the best option for me has to be the best option for you.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    And that's the crux of the matter. Some of us think that one isn't "scrimping" with a well-built PC, and that includes some of us who've owned Apple computers since 1984.
    I was responding to:

"I'm trying to understand why people pay so much extra money for the same performance when they can spend it in photo supplies."

My point is that raw performance just one factor among many. If you don't happen to like the interface or the ergonomics of your tools, you'll probably be frustrated, regardless of what the benchmarks say.

If you prefer operating system A over operating system B, for whatever reason, you'll probably be willing to pay more for it.

I didn't bother rehashing what we've already shown upthread, which is that there's really no significant price difference between the high end machines of the different platforms, if you're comparing machines that are already built—which makes the question largely moot.

The answer I think we all agree on: go with the OS that you like. Everything else is less important.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Fortunately we all have a choice. We can all decide and purchase what makes sense for each of us. This isn't a one size fits all world. No need to convince everyone else that the best option for me has to be the best option for you.

i just paid 200 bucks for a G5 2.3 PPC Power MAC that will work for me really well. It will do my scanning, my Photoshop, and Lightroom. It does a really great job of web surfing as well. USB 2, firewire, and Dual monitor capability.

http://www.mikepic.com