Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum; New to a Crown Graphic; and in need of advice.

New to the Forum; New to a Crown Graphic; and in need of advice.

Hello. I'm new to LFP and the new owner of a Crown Graphic. Lots to learn.

My camera seems to have two problems. One is that it's missing the piece that enables the body-mounted shutter release to actuate the lens board mounted release. Can anyone give me a suggestion about where I might be able to find this piece or who can do a repair.

The second issue is bigger deal to me. I intentionally bought a top-mounted rangefinder Crown with the intention of using it at least part of the time to do some hand-held shooting. My camera seems to have a non-functioning optical rangefinder. The focus patch circle does not move when I adjust focus using the knobs and rack. I have not yet tried the light beam rangefinder, but I assume it's also not working. I am all thumbs and am not interested in opening up the rangefinder and dismantling it myself. If it's a simple repair, I'll try it, but I'm not equipped to tear it down myself and rebuild it.

SO, if any of you experienced hands, old pros and otherwise well-informed Crown Graphic folks have any suggestions, including the name of a good and inexpensive repair person, I'd be much obliged. Some folks at RFF have suggested that my camera is missing a cam, but I suspect the problem is more complicated. Rather than guessing, I figured I'd come to the source. I'm in NJ and understand that Essex Camera might still work on Graflex cameras.

The fellow from whom I bought this on eBay seems to have lots of integrity as he's offered to take it back (and even pay the freight both ways). However, as the camera appears to be very clean apart from these two issues, I'd hope I can get it working for not too much extra money.

I do plan to use the ground glass and a loupe for some of my shooting, but I'd be totally bummed out if I found I couldn't get the rangefinder to work at all.

FYI, the lens is a 135/4.7 Optar.

Thanks!

Re: New to the Forum; New to a Crown Graphic; and in need of advice.

Can't help with repair people, but two good sources for Graphic parts are Mid West Photo and Igor's Cameras, worth speaking to. It seems you're missing the linkage arm to activate the front lens shutter. Not the end of the world if it's missing, just use a cable release. For the rangefinder, you really have to determine whether the (right) cam is in the camera. They are specific to each lens focal length. You do this by extending out the front standard and opening the flap under the top rangefinder. Take a good look through the pages on the Graflex.org site covering your camera to help you, and check out their forum about changing cams. Did your vendor warrant that the rangefinder works with that (very common, and nice) lens? If so, that's implying that the right cam is in place. You can buy replacements, not cheap, c. $50 up I believe, or make your own if you can get a template. It's a fun and very reliable camera, so enjoy it.

Before someone else jumps in to tell you, I can suggest an even better place to ask (though, I'm brand new but recognize the members here to be generous and knowledgeable!):

Check out the Graflex forum (http://www.graflex.org/), though the site isn't working for me just at the moment. They are super knowledgeable in all things Graflex. If some there can't answer your questions, you'd be hard pressed to find someone else who can!

Good luck! The Crown Graphics are great and fun cameras.

The rangefinder is probably stuck because the lubricating oil has thickened. Sometimes repetative working the lever (on the left side of the focusing track) will free it up, but you're probably going to need a CLA by a competent old-time repair person who is familiar with the camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If the cable that runs from the body shutter release to the front standard is there, all you're missing is the shutter actuating paddle. If the cable isn't there, well, then you're missing everything. The paddle is shutter-specific and for it to work the shutter has to be oriented "just so." I think body shutter release is a useless nuisance, have removed the cable etc. from my Graphics.

Since www.graflex.org is down, I'll tell you that the Graphic/Graflex repairman of choice is Fred Lustig of Reno, NV. He has the parts you need.

Fred doesn't have a web presence and if he has e-mail his e-mail address isn't available. He's in the Reno 'phone book, call him during business hours. And act promptly, he's elderly.

Hi Rob ;-) Rob is one of those Leica-rangefinder types and a fine photographer....

Also, a lot of general repair people can work on Graphics with their eyes closed, although Fred has the most old parts. The top rangefinder depends on the cam, the side rangefinders are adjustable. But don't expect your Leica-quality rangefinder experience, they are dim and crappy in comparison.

Most people selling Graphics are or feign ignorance of the rangefinder and chances are the cam was stolen or set in place wrong or something like that. The Crown's RF cam is located underneath the top rangefinder -- turn the camera upside down and "look inside the box" and there will be a black metal hinged door that you can open to access the tiny, not-very-obvious cam and the track it rides. The existing directions and photos of this online are lousy, it is so much better if you can track down somebody to show you how this all works in person. I still find it a bit of VooDoo.

That side release is nice for handheld work if you can get it to be smooth. If it is sticky I hate to trust it.

This from Graflex.com: the cam number for for 133.5mm, no. 5; for 135mm, no. 6; and for 136.4, no. 7. Anyone seriously interested in Speed Graphic cameas should have a copy of Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Lester in earlier editions and by Morgan and Morgan in later editions. The 11th edition of 1958 may be the first to include the top rangefinder model.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    ... competent old-time repair person who is familiar with the camera.
    In addition to Fred Lustig, another competent Graflex/Graphic repair person is Steve Choi at Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City CA. He has a web presence and is old (meaning "adult" & "mature"), but not frail or elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    In addition to Fred Lustig, another competent Graflex/Graphic repair person is Steve Choi at Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City CA. He has a web presence and is old (meaning "adult" & "mature"), but not frail or elderly.
    Steve & Bill are trustworthy and competent repair persons.

LOL. If Frank thinks the guts inside of the rangefinder are voodoo, then I'll look but not touch. With ten thumbs and crappy eyesight, I'd probably just make things worse. The gunked up lubricant or missing/maladjusted cam are pretty good guesses. I knew you'd find my post and give a good response. I may make a visit to Essex Camera next week.

Everyone, thanks for all the good tips. I should have some film from Freestyle on Saturday (50 sheets of el cheapo Arista 100 to get my feet wet) and some film holders later today. It will be nice to see my thumb prints on some larger negatives for a change of pace.

Will a standard cable release work? Hoping I don't need anything with special thread sizes or anything weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Hi Rob ;-) Rob is one of those Leica-rangefinder types and a fine photographer....

Also, a lot of general repair people can work on Graphics with their eyes closed, although Fred has the most old parts. The top rangefinder depends on the cam, the side rangefinders are adjustable. But don't expect your Leica-quality rangefinder experience, they are dim and crappy in comparison.

Most people selling Graphics are or feign ignorance of the rangefinder and chances are the cam was stolen or set in place wrong or something like that. The Crown's RF cam is located underneath the top rangefinder -- turn the camera upside down and "look inside the box" and there will be a black metal hinged door that you can open to access the tiny, not-very-obvious cam and the track it rides. The existing directions and photos of this online are lousy, it is so much better if you can track down somebody to show you how this all works in person. I still find it a bit of VooDoo.

That side release is nice for handheld work if you can get it to be smooth. If it is sticky I hate to trust it.