Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Airport Scanners - the age old question (finally somewhat settled)

Lachlan 717

Re: Airport Scanners - the age old question (finally somewhat settled)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Lachlan, I too will be very interested in seeing the study you refer to. I'm curious about their assumptions and experimental protocol, and how it may have differed than I3A.
    I was told about this by one of the Screening staff, so it all could be a crock. However, I'll try to find something on it.

Regardless, the lead bag is now standard packing for me.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I don't trust any of them. It's interesting how they changed the policy on second level screening for children. Tells me they realize they weren't doing things in an ethical manner.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

http://oas.uco.edu/05/paper/Bragg.pdf

I intended to post this during the height of the discussion. Better late than never. A nice replication study!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    http://oas.uco.edu/05/paper/Bragg.pdf

I intended to post this during the height of the discussion. Better late than never. A nice replication study!
    Nice work! Kid will go far!

One obvious study design flaw is not testing machines at a wide variety of airports on multiple occasions at random. If a machine is badly miscalibrated, I could imagine the passes before damage could be fewer than 11.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Nice work! Kid will go far!

One obvious study design flaw is not testing machines at a wide variety of airports on multiple occasions at random. If a machine is badly miscalibrated, I could imagine the passes before damage could be fewer than 11.
    That's not a flaw, but a feature. All of the studies I've read have the same characteristic. I think they are relying on standards and design/calibration controls to ensure that the machines used are representative. I don't know what controls are in place in the field to ensure calibration, etc but I would hope that they are fairly rigorous in most countries. But that is specualtion on my part so I may or may not be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    In addition, I'd like to point something else out that seems somewhat common in the posts where fogging has occurred: the listed destinations all seem to be hot. Can those with fogging confirm that their film didn't get cooked along the way?
    Hot places, yes, but the fogging patterns on my film were consistent with characteristic patterns found on film in documented and deliberate cases of Xray fogging. I've been in extremely hot places before with B&W film and had no problems. The difference on this trip was the number of times the film was subjected to scanning and probably the type of scanner, which may have been a specially heavy-duty one and not a standard one used for hand luggage.