Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Duty Tax from Japan?

US Duty Tax from Japan?

Hi,

I was looking at some lenses on ebay and I was wondering how much is the US duty tax if I buy a lens from Japan? I tried to google it but I can't find a straight answer. I read that it is either 0% if less than $400 or 2%. Anyone have experience on this? The lens I was looking at is $180 + $20 for shipping.

Thanks

Gabriel

Re: US Duty Tax from Japan?

I don't know the answer but in addition to the duty you should also check on the shipper's handling or similar charges for international sales. I just had a lens I sold to someone in Japan returned to me. Because it was a return I didn't have to pay any duties but UPS charged $30 IIRC for what they claimed was their "service" in getting it through customs. There's been a lot of complaints about this practice which you can find on line but they still do it. I believe it's a flat charge not based on the value of the item. I'm not sure whether Fed Ex, USPS, et al do the same thing or not. So even if the duty on a $180 item is small as it probably is, you still could hit with this kind of charge at least if the seller uses UPS.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

There is Customs, which is duty. Then there is brokerage. Then there is shipping and handling. The first is done by US Customs, the second is done by a private company and the last by the seller.

Which are you concerned with? You could end up paying all three on an international shipment to the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    There is Customs, which is duty. Then there is brokerage. Then there is shipping and handling. The first is done by US Customs, the second is done by a private company and the last by the seller.

Which are you concerned with? You could end up paying all three on an international shipment to the USA.
    I think you just convinced me not to do it and buy american! ha It's not worth it.

Thanks

If you ship via mail, i.e. EMS, the post office will charge a nominal fee for brokerage. In Canada its something like $8. I have never payed any "duty" on camera equipment coming into Canada, but am sometimes charged sales tax on the value. Often I just receive the package with no charges at all, even on things worth hundreds of dollars. On UPS express services brokerage is included in the shipping fee, so usually only tax is charged. Fedex express services charge $10 for brokerage. The only real kicker is UPS and Fedex ground services, which charge about $50 for brokerage, so I avoid those. Really nothing to be afraid of, but check with your local services to find out the details.

I order from Japan. The USA does not charge any duties or taxes on photo gear from Japan. I have bought from companies and off eBay many times. Never had to pay a cent in taxes at all.

Good luck.

Blumine

I'm with Blumine. If the lens is shipped by mail USPS will not add brokerage fees or duties. They'll just deliver it.

If, however, the lens is shipped by a courier service, e.g., UPS or FedEx, they will usually charge brokerage fees. I say usually because I've bought books from sellers in Mexico who shipped UPS and UPS didn't charge brokerage fees.

DHL is a special case of courier. Its the German post office. Goods shipped from Germany by DLH will be delivered by USPS without fees or duties.

I've shipped many items from Japan to the US using the mail system, and no one has ever complained of being gouged by USPS. UPS and Fedex do charge brokerage, and I've been hit with it when importing into Japan. But these are usually very high value items sent by companies who have contracts with the couriers. They get very low shipping charges, but importers end up paying brokerage, which can be significant. For occasional customers in Japan, Fedex and UPS are much more expensive, and far slower, than Japan Post.

Kumar

Ahh. This is fairly confusing, seems many have their hands in the til. Recently I've been charged by UPS to get packages through customs. I guess I see this is what is called "brokerage". I've paid $20 to $50 recently and had to pay it at delivery to my house.

I thought Texas was the master of interstate, intercountry shipping restrictions. When I moved here in 1984 I discovered that any carrier who shipped into Texas needed the blessing (license) from the Texas Railroad Commission and that did not include UPS (they were prohibited from operating in Texas). Fortunately that has changed.

But photogear is easier than wine. When I want to buy wine from out of state I have to have my wine shipped to a Texas distributor who must then sell it to a retailer who then sells it back to me for a total of half again the original price. A great deal for everyone but me. But the TABC and my congressman says they are guarding my interests.

Ah well, thank goodness photogear doesn't have to go through a Texas distributor.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.