Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding View Camera to MF

Re: Adding View Camera to MF

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    Luc,
    Welcome to the forum. Too bad I live in the other Vancouver, otherwise I could give you a chance to compare the Chamonix to your recent exposure to the Technika IV. I handled a Technika a few weeks ago and they are pretty nice...
    Steve
    I would be happy to adopt your Chamonix for a few weeks and give it a sense of the Canadian friendliness- hey.
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    I would be happy to adopt your Chamonix for a few weeks and give it a sense of the Canadian friendliness- hey.
    You mean something of a foreign exchange with the 500 CM headed south??

Steve

Whatever type of camera you decide on you will be amazed at the difference between MF & 4x5. It's like the difference between 35mm & MF only on steroids! I kept my 35mm & MF for different shooting situations but for landscapes the 4x5 (or larger) is king.

You mean something of a foreign exchange with the 500 CM headed south??
    Steve
    It's a deal, meet you part way and we can exchange hostages

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Whatever type of camera you decide on you will be amazed at the difference between MF & 4x5. It's like the difference between 35mm & MF only on steroids! I kept my 35mm & MF for different shooting situations but for landscapes the 4x5 (or larger) is king.
    That is my hope, Hell life is too short I caved in and put my name on the waiting list for a Chamonix 45-N2 now looking for a lens, board and film holders

cheers,

Luc

It's a deal, meet you part way and we can exchange hostages

Luc
    That is my hope, Hell life is too short I caved in and put my name on the waiting list for a Chamonix 45-N2 now looking for a lens, board and film holders

cheers,

Luc
    So much for the hostage exchange! Welcome to the club!

Steve

(Still though, it might be fun to do a meet-up some time. My folks live near Mt. Vernon and I am up there every once in a while for visits. We might even be able to grab Tuco from down Everett way.)

So much for the hostage exchange! Welcome to the club!
    Thanks, I was afraid that after having your camera with me for some time I would want to give it back

(Still though, it might be fun to do a meet-up some time. My folks live near Mt. Vernon and I am up there every once in a while for visits. We might even be able to grab Tuco from down Everett way.)
    That would be great. And we can drop by at LensWork, they are located in Annacortes.
    If during the summer I am booked last week of June and last week of July taking the family to Tofino and likely to Revelstoke and Lake Louise.

Cheers,

Luc

Not all 45's are created equal.

Hi Luc
    First my credentials. I've worked as an arch.photog. for some years, using 45 and 810. I do a lot of landscape for myself, witrh 45 & 810. And I do portraits with both.
    Second my recommendations: forget press, at the risk of offending press cameras many fans. Press cameras were made when miniature film couldn't deliver that was needed.
    In comparison with 45 cameras from the 1960's on, they lacked the precision. They were made tough to bring home printable results to keep the editor happy.
    I've tried MF and 45 press cameras as I so wanted to believe in them, but I grew tired of trying.
    For my arch. work I used a Sinar 45F, which in the right cases was quite portable. Urban environment only of course, but that was fine.
    For landscapes and backpacking I used 45 and 810 folding wooden cameras, Nagoako. They're fine. I've recently bought a Shen Hao HZX45 and you can readily see the progress made.
    To sum up, Luc: don't handicap yourself with nostalgia. Progress is real, take advantage of it. Don't waste time trying lots of models or hiring different cameras. It takes a long time to learn the strengths and weaknesses of a camera. Give it a chance.
    Good luck
    Robert

I shoot mostly landscape and cityscape www.LucBenacPhoto.com
    This turns me naturally toward either a Press or a Field Camera.

But one of the capability that I am after, is a large DOF for front object to background which I think requires a tilt back. This would exclude a Press camera.

I also shot a lot in portrait mode (more than 50% of my shots) which I think would require a rotating back.
    So with all this a Field camera would be the best choice?

Because I already have a good quality scanner limited to 6x9 negative size, and I would like to be able to carry the system around, I am looking at a 6x9 field camera as a logical choice. That said my first reading bring the following arguments against 6x9:
    1) Difficult to judge the effect of tilt/shift on a 6x9 GG
    2) Lenses on a small negative are not up to the quality of a MF lens (I am not sure of this and I have no prior experience to judge by myself)

In addition, I do not want to invest much money in a (possibly) first LF system. That say I like a well made camera that last and I like a simple well conceived camera that is easy to use which usually translate into $$$$$.

There are abundances of choices out there ranging from old to new and from a few hundred to a few thousands. I am also leery of an impulse buy on a "good deal" - throw me the first stone
    I am sure that like in MF everybody has his/her own favourite and as many different answers. I am somewhat hopeful to put to rest the 6x9 versus 4x5 debate in my head with some help and possibly get some pointers on a selection of camera and lenses that are a good value with a reasonable ease of use. The worst camera is the one that stays at home.

BTW I have a Berlebach 2032 tripod which would take a reasonable weight.

Thanks in advance for everybody that feels like dropping a line.

Cheers,

Luc[/QUOTE]

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions.
    After seeing some equipment "in person" and exchanging PM with other forum members, I pretty much came to the same conclusion.
    I decided to go for a Chamonix 45-n2 instead of looking for an "oldie". I did that for 35mm first and the for MF and ended-up with too many cameras and regretfully liking all of them. So I did not want to start this over again in LF.
    The camera is new should be problem free and has more abilities than I - so should be future proof. I pretty much already ordered the full set-up so that I can concentrate on the learning part instead of the equipment part (which is also a lot of fun but need to stay under control).

So it reads like this:
    • Chamonix 45-N2
    • Caltar II-N 115/6.8
    • Caltar II-N 210/5.6
    • 10 Riteway holders (old ones with metal handle)
    • Black Hood
    • 100 sheets of FP4+

All of this coming in 4 or 5 weeks, just to give me the time to read "Using a View Camera" before making a nuisance of myself asking questions on the forum.

Now I am excited, broke and need to sell more 35mm and MF equipment

Cheers,

Luc

Welcome, aside from the lens boards, you can use a variety of lenses on a variety of cameras, unlike 35/120 where you mostly have to stick to a system brand. You can pick up an old tessar sometime and stick it on your new field camera. You can pick up a different camera and keep your lenses, or pick up an old camera on craiglust just for lens!