Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Central NY

Hi from Central NY

Hello all,

Just thought I'd pop in an introduce myself - I'm Adam, from central/upstate NY. Got into LF last year when I was given a Kodak Recomar 33 9x12cm camera, and have been developing sheets from that in my bathroom.

Kind of tired of the lack of film options / accessories for 9x12, so I've ordered a 8x10 with a reduction back (I'm not concerned about unwieldiness), so I'm looking forward to messing with both formats...once I snap up some lenses (it has two lensboards). I'm planning on getting lenses that will work effectively for both format; i.e., a wide for 8x10 that would be normal for 4x5, and a normal for 8x10 that would be tele for 4x5. Something like that - been reviewing several books on view camera so I have my ducks in a row!

I also do some 35mm transparency shooting as a matter of convenience, and a LITTLE 120 play now and then with an old Kodak that's very very inconvenient to use.

Glad to see there's still quite a few folks out there using this stuff!

-Adam

Re: Hi from Central NY

welcome

where in NY? i am in kingston ny.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Saratoga Springs here...I'm in on the next upstate LF loya jirga...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Adam, my very first camera 60 years ago was a 9x12 folder. It's a great way to learn.
    And welcome to the asylum.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Welcome, Adam! I'm in Syracuse, always nice to hear of other LFers in CNY.

Bruce

Also in Saratoga Springs. Yup, there are a few of us here in New York.

Welcome to group therepy! Watch for lenses on eBay...I got an Ilex 8.5" (215mm) f4.8 convertible that will cover 8x10 with little movement and is great on 4x5, just a little longer than "normal" (160mm +/-); converted its a 14" (356mm), or just a little longer than "normal" (300mm +/-) for an 8x10. Lots of folks complain about the sharpness of converted lenses, but I suspect that they don't know to re-focus after stopping down to shooting aperature...many convertible lenses have a focus-shift when stopped down using only one lens group. The Ilex 215mm f4.8 convertible is often seen very reasonably on eBay...often see them sell for under $100 in an Acme or Ilex #3 shutter.
    Last edited by Vick Vickery; 27-Jul-2010 at 09:00. Reason: forgot something

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'm currently settled in Utica, NY, but am originally from over towards Rochester. Might eventually move back that way, but depends on the job situation.

Thanks for the advice on the lens, too, I'll keep an eye out for one like that. I expect I'll snap up more lensboards as I can find them, or make one or two. Since I'm on a budget, I settled for an old Gundlach 8x10 that needs lenses, but considering the cost for some complete 8x10s, I think I did all right, and I made sure to do enough research ahead of time to ensure it'll do what I want it to.

I'll probably keep using the 9x12 for a little while longer too, at least as long as the camera holds up. The viewing back is definitely wearing out with the cardboard/leatherette materials.

I've been doing tray development to date, but am planning on getting a daylight tank for the 4x5s, to make things a little more convenient.

Thanks again for the welcome!

I work sort of halfway between Utica and Saratoga (the Johnstown area). Let me know if you and your camera plan to wander in this direction...

Quote Originally Posted by adamsih300u View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'm currently settled in Utica, NY, but am originally from over towards Rochester. Might eventually move back that way, but depends on the job situation.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Getting ready to move to the Clinton, NY area. Wondering where people process their 4x5 color film in the area? Is there a place in Utica that people use?

Thanks,
    Rob