Thread: New Orleans LA to Phoenix AZ

New Orleans LA to Phoenix AZ

I am going to be in New Orleans in September and then to Phoenix and I am trying to decide if I should rent a car and drive between the two places. Any must see spots on the way or should I just fly?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: New Orleans LA to Phoenix AZ

I'd drive using the secondary roads instead of the interstate. Starting from NO, I would recommend taking Hwy 90 west (the old Spanish Trail) thru Cajun country (Houma, New Iberia, Lake Charles, etc). Get some books and good maps and do research on paths thru Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

In my experience traveling the secondary roads results in many photographic opportunities for both daytime and nighttime photography that the Interstate doesn't

Thomas

I believe (I'm biased, freely admitted) that New Mexico is an enchanting land of beauty.

Take the road trip and hit the byways. The negatives at the end will be worth the journey.

Ok, I have added the Spanish Trail to my route.
    I have never been to New Mexico so when I get to El Paso what would be a good route to Phoenix.

If you have the time use the route through Alamagordo(White Sand Monument) to Las Curces to Albq to Flagstaff to Phoenix. Its a round about way to go but lots of good sites on the way.
    If thats too long skip Albq/Flagstaff and go from Las Cruces to Tuscon to Phoenix.

Don Nelson

Before you get to El Paso, Go north to Carsbad Caverns. (285). Guadalupe Mountains Cut across to White Sands (presuming Government shutdown is off by then, same for Caverns!) on 82/70
    Into Las Cruces - skip El Paso entirely
    I would run up to Caballo on I-25 then 152 through Silver City, then
    cut over through Safford to Globe on 70
    Go north from Globe on 188 until you hit Rosevelt Lake then take the Apache trail down to Apache Junction (then into Phoenix by any route you like as its all city)

Quote Originally Posted by shadow images View Post
    If you have the time use the route through Alamagordo(White Sand Monument) to Las Curces to Albq to Flagstaff to Phoenix. Its a round about way to go but lots of good sites on the way.
    If thats too long skip Albq/Flagstaff and go from Las Cruces to Tuscon to Phoenix.
    Alamagordo (Trinity Site) is only open to the public two days/year, but White Sands is much more photogenic and a must-see. I'm also partial to the canyons around Roosevelt Lake.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon