Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Yosemite

Wood cameras are awesome!

Greetings from Yosemite

Hey all,

My name's Mike and I work here in Yosemite. I recently traded some car parts for this unknown 4x5...cant find any markings or anything and was wondering it looks familiar to you. I can take more pics if necessary. It came with a lens board with a Caltar II-N 90mm 6.8. It's brand new to me and I won't be immediately using it just yet but I will be surfing the forum for lots of info.

I'm 27 and originally grew up as a member of the digital generation, but have since added 35mm, a 645 and now this odd looking wood thing to my collection. I'm just liking film more it seems...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for reading!

Mike Reeves
    Yosemite National Park

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Greetings from Yosemite

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum- you've come to the right place. The camera looks like a Tachihara to me, but I'm not positive, so someone else please chime in. The Caltar is a great lens; I have a 210 Caltar that I got for next to nothing and it's just as sharp as any other lens I own. Should be a great setup for you in Yosemite.

How are the waterfalls looking this year- pretty spectacular I'll bet with all the rain and snow we've had! I will be out next month for a few days of camping and photography and greatly look forward to it.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Thanks!

The guy who traded it to me said he was "pretty sure" it was, but some of the front hardware looks a little different when I look at them online. I'm sure the designs changed a lot over the years though.

I'm normally more of a zoom guy so I'm looking at a 150 and a 210 and I'm glad to hear that you like yours. Budget will keep me in the Caltar range and I may be buying a vehicle soon so those may be for the future. I hope to play with it in the coming months and get the hang of it. I'm sure Yosemite will yield me some great images in the future as it has in the past.
    Staff Photographer - The Ansel Adams Gallery
    Yosemite National Park, CA
    www.mikereevesphotography.com

Hey Mike,

Looks to be a good start to LF. If it is a Tachihara, it is an older one with no front swings. But a fine looking camera.

You have a nicely remodeled darkroom there at the Gallery -- hopefully you'll be able to use it (when they are not teaching digital workshops in it, that is!)

A 150mm will suit you fine as will a 210. I have never been much for wide angle, but it still will be nice to have it in the kit.

A good friend worked over 20 years at the Gallery -- it was always great to be able to visit him. Enjoy your time there!

Vaughn

Likewise, Tachi is a great little workhorse. Welcome.

Welcome, Mike!!

Doesn't look like a Tachi to me (at least not the one I have)...

Regardless, one of the joys of LF photography is that form matters much less than function... if it works for you, who the Hell cares what brand it is ;-)

Welcome to group therapy! Looks like a nice camera, but others can better identify it since I'm mostly a rail camera user (with a Super Graphic for backup). The Caltar 90mm is a nice lens; I'd recommend a second lens in the 150mm-160mm range (normal) and later something around 210mm after you've played with the others for a little while. You didn't say what other odds and ends you already have, but you need a couple of film holders and a tripod to get started at a minimum. Have fun with your new toy...you're located in a great place to enjoy it!

Thanks Vaughn, I assumed it was older. The brass isn't tarnished but it's more of a dull finish, like it was bead blasted or something similar. Aside from a couple small nicks it's in great shape. I really came out great in the trade. I just wanted to roughly know what it was for purposes of adding stuff to it one day.

Well, I've got plenty of tripods and other cameras, but the trade included 6 or 8 film holders, changing bag, loupe and some other goodies. I'll be getting a new bag for it soon but I'll see about the other lenses one of these days. I'd also like to get a rear screen with a grid...I'm terribly bad at leveling things.

Next comes researching films and since I shoot 35 and 120 I'll be looking for a scanner at some point.

TAAG had a 35mm slide scanner (Nikon Coolscan 4000?) for workshop use...unless I borrowed it from Charlie Cramer. I forget. They must have newer equipment by now.

Say Hello to Kate D and Carol M for me....and Sally O if she is still around

CH

Will do!

The scanner is still around but needs a cord (which Ive found online) but I think the software is an issue or something. Nothing newer since it's mostly digital workshops these days. I just want one of my own since it'll be easier.

Weather has been great lately but a little wet. I've been trying to figure out the field of view at my favorite places. Since I'm used to zooms and telephoto lenses, no view is too "close" so I can always crop down a bit.