Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite filter brand?

Re: What is your favorite filter brand?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'm very fond of the telephone pole filter. It matters not the make, but they sure come in handy!
    ain't that called a chainsaw ?

-Dan

Foamer

I use a polarizer quite a bit. After trying all the usual brands, (B+W, Hoya, etc.) I've come to like the Marumi Super DHG the best. I also use colored filters since I only shoot b&w when using film. I use Hoya coated filters. I sometimes use a HiTech ND grad or two. I have some coated ND filters to slow exposures down so I can use my Petzval lens in daytime. Other than that, I don't use filters. My favorite filter is the Marumi polarizer--I'm a polarizer addict with color photos outdoors.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I agree with Frank that in most cases the best filter is none at least for b&w photography. Using a filter may accomplish something good but will often have a downside that's as bad or worse than the effect that would have been produced without the filter (e.g. a red filter may turn a blue sky black which some people seem to like but it often will also turn any green foliage that's in the scene black, which isn't usually desirable).

The main reason I used to carry red, orange, yellow, green, and blue filters was to create tonal separation between two colors that would merge in a b&w photograph if a filter wasn't used. Today I can easily create the desired separation in Photoshop so I don't carry those filters any more, I only carry polarizers. The polarizers I have are made by B+W though I've also used Tiffen and Hoyas. I can't distinguish a photograph made with a B+W polarizer from one made with a Hoya or a Tiffen but they have nice solid feel to them and in the overall scheme of things their cost is minor.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've used all the major brands, and they all work fine. I've been told I have low standards, though.

I'm with Frank that I have to have a reason to use a filter, and much of the time I don't.

I do like to be able to use a polarizer, but that is a little more challenging on large format and I've not done it much. But I am waiting for delivery of a Sinar polarizer frame, which allows me to swing the polarizer into a viewing position, adjust it, and then swing it back in front of the lens, all in a way that maintains the polarized effect.

I experimented with Cokin filters once upon a time, and I did have problems with those. They just aren't field-tough, and they are too thick for the short lenses I sometimes use.

Rick "thinking the polarized effect can be grossly overdone if used indiscriminately" Denney

The Rookie

Lee.

I don't have anything against any other brands but it takes a few iterations to get to know any adjustment. When shooting film, that means much more time and materials so any consistency in workflow I can get is important to me. I prefer to stick with one brand with a wide selection.

It is true that, in a digital darkroom, you can apply the ND grad filter but if you start with one in the field then there is more detail to work with so a well used filter can aid in digital processing. It's difficult to bring back detail from a blown out sky. A three stop filter can make it more workable without losing shadow detail.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Exclamation Re: What is your favorite filter brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I agree with Frank that in most cases the best filter is none at least for b&w photography. Using a filter may accomplish something good but will often have a downside that's as bad or worse than the effect that would have been produced without the filter (e.g. a red filter may turn a blue sky black which some people seem to like but it often will also turn any green foliage that's in the scene black, which isn't usually desirable).
    I absolutely agree... If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't do it.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Lee.

I don't have anything against any other brands but it takes a few iterations to get to know any adjustment. When shooting film, that means much more time and materials so any consistency in workflow I can get is important to me. I prefer to stick with one brand with a wide selection.

It is true that, in a digital darkroom, you can apply the ND grad filter but if you start with one in the field then there is more detail to work with so a well used filter can aid in digital processing. It's difficult to bring back detail from a blown out sky. A three stop filter can make it more workable without losing shadow detail.
    I agree that if using the Photoshop ND filter was the only way of dealing with blown out skies in Photoshop ND grads in camera would be better. But I don't generally use the Photoshop ND grad filter to deal with potentially blown out skies. I make multiple exposures in camera and then merge them in Photoshop or Photomatix. That way I don't have to worry with ND grads and I can get a perfect exposure for the sky and a perfect exposure for the foreground ("perfect" just meaning an exposure based solely on each element in the scene, not that I do that or anything else to perfection).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Lee 100mm filter system and B+W for the threaded filters used with it, such as the 105mm Polarizer on the threaded adapter ring on the outside of the foundation kit.

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I agree that if using the Photoshop ND filter was the only way of dealing with blown out skies in Photoshop ND grads in camera would be better. But I don't generally use the Photoshop ND grad filter to deal with potentially blown out skies. I make multiple exposures in camera and then merge them in Photoshop or Photomatix. That way I don't have to worry with ND grads and I can get a perfect exposure for the sky and a perfect exposure for the foreground ("perfect" just meaning an exposure based solely on each element in the scene, not that I do that or anything else to perfection).
    In short... HDR?
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I use a polarizer quite a bit. After trying all the usual brands, (B+W, Hoya, etc.) I've come to like the Marumi Super DHG the best. I also use colored filters since I only shoot b&w when using film. I use Hoya coated filters. I sometimes use a HiTech ND grad or two. I have some coated ND filters to slow exposures down so I can use my Petzval lens in daytime. Other than that, I don't use filters. My favorite filter is the Marumi polarizer--I'm a polarizer addict with color photos outdoors.

Kent in SD
    You do know that there is a new type of polarizer out now?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=72519