Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ANSI Film Holder Details

ANSI Film Holder Details

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a suitable answer in the archives.

Where can I find the ANSI measurements (in millimetres, preferably)for a 5x4" fi lm holder ?

Also, what is the normal thickness of film (Kodak Tri-x)?

Finally, I stripped down a 5x4" film holder a few years ago, but can't remember how the light-trap was constructed. Is it brushes, rubber or felt, or something else.

I'm planning to make some film holders that use a plate instead of film.

Thanks in advance.

David Nash

ANSI Film Holder Details

If you know the ANSI specification (or document number), you can go to www.ansi.org and perform a search. You can search for other text, but you'll get narrowed results if you know the ANSI reference info.

You can also look up design information for particular manufacturers on the US Patent Office web site.

ANSI Film Holder Details

The URL for the US Patent Office is www.uspto.gov.

ANSI Film Holder Details

Sorry for three in a row. These are the correct links: www.ansi.org and www.uspto.gov.

ANSI Film Holder Details

The ANSI document # is Z38.1.51-1951 Inasmuch as this is an American standard, the measurements are in inches. There should be a European standard as well. If you need a specific dimension, let me know and I'll look it up. The light trap is typically a piece of spring metal, cut in such a way as to create "fingers" and covered in velvet. It just press fits in such a way that it straddles the septum. This is just one type. Over the years as the style and materials changed, I'm sure there have been other designs. Hope this helps.

ANSI Film Holder Details

Robert: Could not find the document you gave the number for in an ANSI search, however, I found the following in a search:

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=ANSI%2FPIMA+IT3% 2E108%2D1998

There the following document is shown: Document Number: ANSI/PIMA IT3.108-1998 Photography (Accessories) - Double Film Holders of the Lock-Rib Type - Dimensions (revision and redesignation of ANSI PH3.108-1988)

ANSI Film Holder Details

That sounds like it. I've obviously got an old, old document. But then again, my film holders are old.

Re: ANSI Film Holder Details

It looks like it’s not on the ANSI site anymore. I’ve uploded an updated version from a table by a guy named Hoover here.

This is the source I use to for the dimensions, to build my DIY holders, for dry plate in my case:

http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	____fh.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	176913

pd: Like previous post

The other piece of the puzzle is nominal dimensions and tolerances for sheet film. That can be found in ISO 1012:1998. I’ve settled on ensuring my dry plate dimensions conform to that standard.

There is a corresponding standard for plates, but lists only a small selection of sizes that, with a few exceptions, do not cover general photographic plates - ISO 14548:1998. My guess is the plate sizes listed in 14548 are for holography, x-ray, and observatory astrophotography. I’ve sent an email in to ANSI requesting to expand the standard to be more useful to our type of plate photography.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com