Thread: Anybody Have Baseboard Type 8x10 Enlarger? Will DeVere 8x10 baseboard type do 20x24?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Anybody Have Baseboard Type 8x10 Enlarger? Will DeVere 8x10 baseboard type do 20x24?

What is maximum size print you can make? Anybody able to make a 20x24 print? What lens do you use?

Sorry about all these questions lately but I think I just about have it sussed. The de Vere with baseboard will fit in my 78" darkroom height and I'm just wondering now if I have enough room from neg to easel (~47") with the baseboard configuration to make an 18x22 enlargement from WP or 8x10 with a Nikkor 240 lens...appreciate your analyses or better yet, practical confirmation!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Anybody Have Baseboard Type 8x10 Enlarger? Will DeVere 8x10 baseboard type do 20x

Richard,

To save you some time (in case you do not have it), below is the calculation for negative stage to baseboard distance:

Lens focal length = F
    Image Magnification = M
    Lens to negative stage distance = u = F * (M+1)/M
    Lens to baseboard distance = v = F * u / (u-F)
    Negative stage to baseboard distance = u + v

You will need to ensure that all dimensions are the same units (inches or millimetres).

If you want a 20x24 enlargement from 8x10, then nominal M = 2.5.

I have a MS Excel spreadsheet with the calculation I can send you if you wnat to send me a PM.

On anothe note, building an enlarging drop table like the Besler unit makes should be relatively simple for someone with basic capentry skills. You can leave it in the top position most of the time, and just drop it when big enlargments are needed.

Hope that helps,

Len

Re: Anybody Have Baseboard Type 8x10 Enlarger? Will DeVere 8x10 baseboard type do 20x

I think all the major vertical enlargers have drop tables incorporated in design.
    for sure durst and deveere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Richard,

To save you some time (in case you do not have it), below is the calculation for negative stage to baseboard distance:

Lens focal length = F
    Image Magnification = M
    Lens to negative stage distance = u = F * (M+1)/M
    Lens to baseboard distance = v = F * u / (u-F)
    Negative stage to baseboard distance = u + v

You will need to ensure that all dimensions are the same units (inches or millimetres).

If you want a 20x24 enlargement from 8x10, then nominal M = 2.5.

I have a MS Excel spreadsheet with the calculation I can send you if you wnat to send me a PM.

On anothe note, building an enlarging drop table like the Besler unit makes should be relatively simple for someone with basic capentry skills. You can leave it in the top position most of the time, and just drop it when big enlargments are needed.

Hope that helps,

Len

the only pain in using a drop table at Richards advanced age is the bending over to put the paper in and out of the easel. Making the print is extremely easy since you are looking down and your dodges and burns are very easy, in fact I find it as easy as using a table top height.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Bob, do you want me to drop that case of Depends© off at your lab or will you pick it up? I kow you are worried to drive since you don't have any right now ,and I don't mind helping you out...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I think all the major vertical enlargers have drop tables incorporated in design.
    for sure durst and deveere.
    Bob,

Absolutely, and my L184 is an excellent example..

However, Richard's 6'6" height restriction pretty much eliminates many of the otherwise excellent solutions.

Len

Hi Len

your right, but nothing a good sawsall wont fix.
    Richard could go through the living room area, then put a nice table on top , just make sure it not made of glass Richard.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Bob,

Absolutely, and my L184 is an excellent example..

However, Richard's 6'6" height restriction pretty much eliminates many of the otherwise excellent solutions.

Len

the only pain in using a drop table at Richards advanced age is the bending over to put the paper in and out of the easel.
    Yep.

Making the print is extremely easy since you are looking down and your dodges and burns are very easy, in fact I find it as easy as using a table top height.
    Yep.