Thread: Posting exposed film to processing labs.

Posting exposed film to processing labs.

Hello,
    I have just this afternoon joined LFPF, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is:
    How do you recommend I should package my exposed film to send to processors?
    Do individual processors stipulate how they receive film?

Thank you

Re: Posting exposed film to processing labs.

use the same 3-box system that the film came in when you purcased it. Unload your film holders(exposed sheets) into the box IN THE DARK(believe it or not, I've know someone to unload their holders in the light, so hence why I said this ).

then package your film up in a box, padded envelope, and send her away.

make sure to tape the box well, and just in case custom's might open to inspect, put "exposed film" DO NOT OPEN/ DO NOT X-RAY

IDK if you're looking to send Int'l, but via domestic postage here in the States, I personally haven't had any trouble with x-rays.

best of luck!

-Dan

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the boatman View Post
    Hello,
    I have just this afternoon joined LFPF, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is:
    How do you recommend I should package my exposed film to send to processors?
    Do individual processors stipulate how they receive film?

Thank you
    I hand carry my film to a local lab. So far I have not shipped any via postal services.

But I suspect the process should be the same.

I recommend you keep C-41, E6, B&W films in separate boxes. I have never had any trouble mixing films of different speeds, brands, etc. but they have to be kept separate according to which type of processing.

For the individual film sheets I recommend stacking them together in triple-nested boxes between the original manufacturers' cardboards. I also rubber-band the inner stack together to prevent sheets from sliding around during shipping and scratching one another.

That is my method and if I had to mail them I would simply tape the boxes shut to prevent accidental opening and bubble-wrap them securely inside an outer shipping box.

Best of luck and welcome to a new photography experience.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

everything said above is correct. In addition, I use a black plastic bag (the one that comes with illford film) inside the triple nested boxes, with the cardboard around the film.

After one time leaving a couple of sheets of photo paper out of the bag, but inside the box, I became very un-trusting of boxes. (Yes, I know that a paper box is different).

Tape closed and mark the process on the lid. I don't bother with padded envelopes most days, but then I am a trusting soul (and the small 4x5 boxes are very tough). I use them when they are handy.

I do write "Exposed E-6 (or C-41) ONLY / DO NOT OPEN" on the box. This helps me, when I am unloading filmholders, and the lab. They return the box, I assume this is standard practice.

After having one of the USPS envelopes open (in spite of one strip of added tape) and dump my never to be seen again box of film before it arrived at the lab (they got the envelope, just not the film) and spending three days re-shooting a job 100 miles away from home on my dime, I now make certain that (1) I not only state "exposed film do not open" on the box, but also have my complete address and phone number labeled on it, and (2) I never trust an envelope and they're adhesive without thoroughly taping all seams and closure points as well as at least one complete wrap of tape around the envelope or box in each direction. I also tape at least one full wrap on the film box itself.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

The Rookie

fwiw...
    I use the USPS flat-rate small box. I can fit two of the 25 sheet film boxes into one. I think I pay $5.40 for shipping. I've never had a problem. My processing service (Colormark) ships back by UPS.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    After having one of the USPS envelopes open
    Tyvek is much stronger than cardboard. I generally use a tyvek half sheet (8 1/2 x 5" ?) envelope around the box and processing note. Taped like crazy, as you say.