Thread: "Quick Load": which film in which holders

"Quick Load": which film in which holders

Greetings, Could some please explain, perhaps even elaborate, on the nuances and ramificati ons of the various incarnations of "Quick Load" type film holders; specifically, whose film can be used with whose holder? I would like to be able to shoot both RVP and T-max 100, hopefully without having to tote two film holders about in m y already cluttered bag. Many thanx,

DAB.

While you evidently can usboth Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload in the Kodak R L holder, you evidently cannot use both in the Fuji holder. Both can also be used in the Polaroid 545 and 545i holders. Optimum performance (re: film flatness and overall sharpness) is found when you use the films in their dedicated holders.

While you evidently can use both Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload in the Kodak RL holder, you evidently cannot use both in the Fuji holder. Both can also be used in the Polaroid 545 and 545i holders. Optimum performance (re: film flatness and overall sharpness) is found when you use the films in their dedicated holders.

Douglas, there's a very detailed discussion of just this topic that is listed on the large format home page...it's just a way down from where you clicked to get here. Short answer is that it is possible to use a Polaroid holder for both Fuji and Kodak quickloads, but most users find the results less than satisfactory. Light leaks are the major problem. Fuji gets the best overall reviews, but there is no black and white film available for it, at least outside Japan.

And there is no color neg fuji quickload.

I use Fuji Quickload(Velvia and Provia) and Kodak T-MAX in the Kodak Readyload holder. I have not had the light leak problems that many warned me about when buying into this system. Only 2 negs (in the last year and a half) have been slightly damaged by light leaks and I've NEVER had a problem with the Fuji Quickloads (in the Kodak holder). I've heard other's horror stories, but this system has, to date, worked very well for me. << Knocking on wood >>> :-)

I just bought a bunch of Fuji Provia 100 really cheap, and I have been using it in my Polaroid 545 holder in my 4x5 Crown Graphic with great results. I have not noticed any sharpness problems, but I have had to compensate for a very slight positioning error by panning a tad (1 to 2 degrees) to the right.

I once put about 15 sheets of Velvia and a Quickload holder in a tupperware together. On development there was a light streak across the short dimension on most sheets about where the shoulder of the holder rested against the film inside the tupperware. Don't know if presure per se or slight folding of the film caused the problem or what but I never put both film and holder in the same tupperware again and never had the problem again.
    John Hennessy