Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20x24" prints in wallpaper trays. First attempt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

20x24" prints in wallpaper trays. First attempt

I just printed 3 prints on 20x24" paper in wallpaper trays. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but a couple of inches from one edge of each print, there is an area across the paper a couple of inches wide where I can see faint 'drip' lines. At first glance, I thought it was something in the dark background of the first print, but since it's on all three prints (which are different), I think it's uneven development.

Not totally unexpected from this method, but I'd like to understand where the risky point is during the development. Is it the first few seconds where I "roll" the paper through the 1" of developer in the trough? It's a little difficult getting it to "roll" through until the paper is wet, so I'm thinking there's a point when I first put it in that a little developer is running down the page before I get the paper through? Is that likely the problem?

I'm sure it's a matter of technique, but I'm trying to figure out exactly where my technique failed.

Other than that, they look pretty good actually...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Re: 20x24" prints in wallpaper trays. First attempt

David,

I know space is a premium when working with large prints, but if you have the room, it might be worthwhile to try pre-soaking your paper in plain water before putting it into the developer tray. It is the first few seconds of development that matter most, and a saturated paper should wet more evenly in the developer, as it becomes a process of diffusion instead of absorption. Good luck with those big prints!

Duh! EXCELLENT idea (and simple!). Off to Sherwin Williams to buy another $3 wallpaper tray! I think I can fit it with the other four...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    David,

I know space is a premium when working with large prints, but if you have the room, it might be worthwhile to try pre-soaking your paper in plain water before putting it into the developer tray. It is the first few seconds of development that matter most, and a saturated paper should wet more evenly in the developer, as it becomes a process of diffusion instead of absorption. Good luck with those big prints!
    David Aimone Photography

I second Jay's excellent suggestion and would add, if you haven't done so already, that you could use a higher developer dilution to further slow down the activity of the developer, This would require longer developing times, making the immersion time a smaller proportion of the total time.

The downside is that it would reduce the total capacity, but may be worth it. Also, some developers may not do as well with this method as others, but if you are using a standard developer, it should make no difference in print tone or maximum density.

Another way to increase effective development time is to simply standardize on a longer time and then adjust print exposure accordingly. You can double developing time with most papers and, with appropriate exposure, achieve identical prints. The extended development simply changes the effective paper speed. Contrary to what one reads a lot, increasing development time does not increase contrast with most modern papers.

Hope this helps,

Doremus Scudder

Doremus,

I'm using Adox RC VC paper and Kodak Dektol 2:1, so nothing unusual there. So, I should try Dektol 3:1 or 4:1 instead for a longer time? I'm not really worried about capacity here, as I'm not doing a large number of large prints at the same time. I'm not quite yet comfortable with changing the exposures at this point, since I'm fairly new and everything is going pretty well along the entire chain from exposure to 16x20 prints in standard trays, but I'll try a longer development time at a lower concentration of Dektol.

Thanks!

David
    David Aimone Photography

David,

I don't know how rigid your trays are, but if they're stiff enough, you might try lifting the near edge of your tray so that the developer collects at the far end of the tray. Then, when you drop the print into the tray, let the raised end of the tray drop, so that the developer washes over the print quickly and evenly. I confess I've never used this technique with very large prints, so I acknowledge it might not be practical, but I thought I'd mention it. Good luck!

Jay,

The trays are shaped like long window boxes, with curved (not square) edges and angles. They're about 30" long and 7-8" wide, so the paper cannot be flat in the tray. I'm taking each side and "rolling" the paper through the developer.

My first try produced a nice even development, but with those streaks that I believe came from the first few seconds of development...

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    David,

I don't know how rigid your trays are, but if they're stiff enough, you might try lifting the near edge of your tray so that the developer collects at the far end of the tray. Then, when you drop the print into the tray, let the raised end of the tray drop, so that the developer washes over the print quickly and evenly. I confess I've never used this technique with very large prints, so I acknowledge it might not be practical, but I thought I'd mention it. Good luck!
    David Aimone Photography

Ah, the see-saw method! I've developed a few rolls of film that way here in Alaska. In that case, you might try to make a tube of your print, and roll the tube in the tray. It's like a print drum without the drum. You could use a few pieces of scotch tape on the back side of the print to hold it in a tube shape. You'd have to tape the print while dry, before the plain water bath. Then again, it might not be necessary at all, depending on your results with the water soak.

No need for tape or water baths. Just make sure to roll the print up before submerging it in developer. When you place the print in the bath quickly run your finger along the leading edge so as to make certain to initiate contact with the chemistry and the paper before you begin your scrolling motion. If, however, your troughs bottom surface is not wide enough to accomodate both the leading edge and the trailing edge of your scroll (the bath at the very least should be as wide as 2x the diameter of the scroll) you run the risk of uneven development. But what you describe sounds more like an issue with the stop bath. How fast are you scrolling (i.e. how many cycles are you able to accomplish in a minute)?

I have tried the wallpaper trys for both 20x24 and 30x40. I also have 20x24 and 30x40sets of trays. I dislike the wallpaper trays for 20x24, and prefer normal 20x24 trays. For 30x40 the normal trays are too big and wallpaper trays work better. My favorite way to do 20x24 is in a drum.