Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developing 5x7 in Tubes w/ Pyrocat-HD

Re: Developing 5x7 in Tubes w/ Pyrocat-HD

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    Kevin - That's a really interesting idea but I'm sure there's a reason why foam isn't used. I'm assuming it's because people have had enough success without foam so it hasn't been needed.

Micheal - That's good to know. Did you make them yourself? And if so, what type of cap fitting did you use? The BTZS tubes that I've made with ABS don't have the typical kind of BTZS cap that holds the chemistry. Would this cap be a custom fitting or do I have to change hardware stores?

Curt - I haven't heard of any major issues with processing with Pyrocat-HD in tubes; at least, very few that aren't related to human error.

Thanks guys.
    One end cap is cemented to the main tube and on the other end a collar is cemented. The other cap is cemented to a short piece of tube,this is used as the lid which will slip into the collar and not cemented.It leaks a little but not enough to bother with.

Mike

Hi Mike

I have posted a video on youtube.com on using 5x7 film in the 8x10 BTZS Tubes. I had gotten a phone call from a photographer in Australia wanting to process 5x7 film in the 8x10 BTZS tubes. So I told him I would test it first and then do a video on youtube.com, so he could see how it works.

To find the videos on youtube.com, just do a search on the word "viewcamerastore".

5x7 film does work fine in the 8x10 tubes and even getting the film out of the tubes was no problem - just watch the video. You might also want to watch the video on using the 8x10 BTZS tubes. You still have to use 8 oz of developer in the tube as you would with 8x10 film so you have enough developer to cover the film area.

I have not used any of the pyro developers, but I don't see any reason why they won't work with the tubes.

I hope this helps.

Fred Newman

Thanks for that Mike. I see that I was missing a few things in my thought process. I had some issues with gluing too. Nothing major.

Fred - I completely missed that 5x7 vid. I'll track that down. Can't wait to start testing. Thanks!!

Hi,

I've used the black abs tubes to stand develop 5x7 & 5x12 FP4 in Pyrocat-HD [1:1:150]. After some unpleasant experience with scratches on the back of the film I switched to BTZS 8x10 tubes. This works very well with 8 oz of developer, though Pyrocat-HD [1:1:100] does not seem to work well with rotary agitation. At the end of the developing cycle it is necessary to open the tubes as soon as possible. Sometimes the film slips down into the cap with one end sitting in the developer, resulting in over development in this area. Once becoming aware of this difficulty I didn't have any problems with this process. I experimented with XTOL & DDX with the BTZS tubes and had some good results. But have returned to tray processing with Pyrocat-HD [1:1:100].

Dan ... With the cap that you made, were these just miscellaneous ABS parts that you glued together with ABS glue I assume? Or did you doctor specific pieces? Thanks again!

The parts are standard ABS plumbing fittings that I picked up at Lowes or Home Depot Yes, they are just glued together with ABS glue. Which reminds me, the glue is strong smelling and seems to persist for at least several days. I would recommend storing them outside the darkroom for a while after you first make them. I would also leave them open so the tubes air out before you use them.

I have not had problems with the tubes scratching the backs of my negatives. If you decide to make some of these, you might want to inspect the tubing before assembling and maybe wrap some sandpaper around a dowel and sand any rough spots. You will definitely have to sand the cut ends of the tubes.

Dan
    Last edited by DarkroomDan; 4-Apr-2011 at 14:44. Reason: I was a little quick on hitting the post button. I had more I wanted to include
    Dan Williams
    Enumclaw WA

Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomDan View Post
    I have not had problems with the tubes scratching the backs of my negatives. If you decide to make some of these, you might want to inspect the tubing before assembling and maybe wrap some sandpaper around a dowel and sand any rough spots. You will definitely have to sand the cut ends of the tubes.

Dan
    The best way to smooth the inside of the tubes, and the edges, is with acetone. Acetone melts ABS plastic and leaves no rough edges.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks for all this great info everyone. I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks for that Mike. I see that I was missing a few things in my thought process. I had some issues with gluing too. Nothing major.

Fred - I completely missed that 5x7 vid. I'll track that down. Can't wait to start testing. Thanks!!
    Here is a link to that 5x7 video

http://www.youtube.com/user/viewcame.../3/iHeHLqynKUc