Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray McSavaney: Fall Workshop, Aspen Colorado - Sept. 25th to 29th, 2011

Eric Biggerstaff

Ray McSavaney: Fall Workshop, Aspen Colorado - Sept. 25th to 29th, 2011

From September 25th to September 29th, 2011, Ray McSavaney will host a field workshop in the Roaring Fork Valley of Colorado. Surrounded by towering peaks, quiet lakes and colorful groves of aspen, the workshop will offer the participant an outstanding opportunity to photograph in the field with world renowned photographer Ray McSavaney. The primary purpose of this workshop will be to make images, lots of images. Mornings and afternoons will be spent in the field working with Ray on your photographic composition, understanding light, refining your camera technique and learning the ins and outs of making a fine photographic image. When not in the field, Ray will review portfolios and there will be group critique sessions as well. Ray will be happy to discuss any topic you wish, in fact, if there is a particular topic you would like to cover on the workshop please let him know beforehand so he will be prepared.

All formats are welcome in the workshop; in fact a variety of formats makes the workshop more enjoyable and a greater learning experience. However, while Ray can discuss digital technologies and processes he is not an expert in these areas so those discussions would be kept general and at a high level. The workshop is really intended to help you learn about the “softer” side of photography, about making wonderful images no matter what format or type of camera you use.

The Roaring Fork Valley of Colorado is an outstanding location to host a photographic workshop. Possible locations the class will visit are the Maroon Bells, Independence Pass, the Grottos, McClure Pass, Marble, Crystal, Lizard Lake, Capital Peak area, Hanging Lake and many others. In addition, September in Colorado is perfect for photographing the beautiful aspen groves that surround the area as they change into their fall colors.

Be prepared with lots of film (or storage cards), lots of questions and be sure to take advantage of this unique opportunity.

Price: $975
    Deposit: $225 (non-refundable)
    Class Limit: 10
    Application: There is an application Ray would like you to complete. Please contact me and I will send it to you.

Special Print Offer: Ray will be offering a very unique print of the large aspen grove near Independence Pass, one of the locations we will visit. The image is a panaoramic printed 5" x 14" for $300 (half off the gallery price of $600) or printed 7" X 14" for $400 (normal gallery price is $800). This image has never been published so it is a great opportunity to own one of Ray's beautiful works.

Thanks!
    Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Re: Ray McSavaney: Fall Workshop, Aspen Colorado - Sept. 25th to 29th, 2011

I met Ray at one of his shows here in L.A. Nice man, beautiful prints.

Eric Biggerstaff

Vinny,

I totally agree, very nice man and very nice prints.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Dave Karp

I met him in LA at Tuan's too. I agree 100%, except that maybe his prints are beyond beautiful.

My late father-in-law went on a workshop with him. He felt that Ray M. was an excellent teacher as well.

If you have never spent time with Ray McSavaney you have missed some important time in your photographic life. Ray is one of the most knowledgeable people in the field. His very quiet easy going approach is deceiving and when you have finished the workshop you will begin to reflect on all the knowledge you have gained without realizing it.
    A terrific photographer, soft spoken, a gentleman and a genuine pleasure to be around. I wish I could make this trip to add to the other several wonderful experiences I have had with Ray.

Jim

I live in the roaring fork valley. Indeed, a great place to have a workshop. !! All the locations listed are extremely photogenic, especially the Bells, the grottos, and Hanging Lake, which have been photographed by such masters as Ansel Adams and John Sexton.

Eric Biggerstaff

To everyone who has contacted me about the workshop - thank you!

Ray is sending me the application and as soon as I get it I will scan it and email it over to each of you.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I attended the Southwest Workshop that Ray and John Sexton have jointly conducted for many years. I agree with everything others have said, he's a nice man, an exceptional photographer and an excellent teacher.

At the Southwest workshop Ray and John divided the portfolio reviews and Ray conducted mine. He gave my first photograph high praise, talked about what a great composition it was, how well it was printed, etc.etc. At which point I was feeling very good about myself and thought I must be a truly great photographer. Then he moved on to my second photograph and began the critique of that one by saying "it's hard to believe the same person who could make the previous photograph also made this one."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Then he moved on to my second photograph and began the critique of that one by saying "it's hard to believe the same person who could make the previous photograph also made this one."

That's when you realize that he cares about what he's doing and is willing to give honest feedback.

I had a somewhat similar experience with Ray. LOL

Damn, I wish I was in the States to attend this workshop...

CH

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos R Herrera View Post
    That's when you realize that he cares about what he's doing and is willing to give honest feedback.

I had a somewhat similar experience with Ray. LOL

Damn, I wish I was in the States to attend this workshop...

CH
    Oh I agree completely, I didn't mind the criticism of the second one at all. In fact he was right.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.