Thread: Linhof 4x5 Multifocus Viewfinder

Linhof 4x5 Multifocus Viewfinder

A used Linhof 4x5 Multifocus Viewfinder just arrived. It is all black with three rings: one for lens focal length, one for focus and one for the orientation of the mask. I have tried the focus for all the focal lengths. Nothing is in focus. The focus never changes. Could I be doing something wrong? Does anybody know if there's an instruction manual?

Re: Linhof 4x5 Multifocus Viewfinder

I believe the focus setting alters the angle the lens looks down to adjust for parallax as the subjest gets closer.
    You determine the distance with the cameraa and set it on the viewfinder and it points to the field of view you are photographing.( assuming you are using a Technica)

April's fool !

Bill is correct. The numbers on the focal length ring and on the distance ring are color coded. If you are using a focal length marked in red then you use the distance scale of the same color. The distance ring sets the parralax correction and what you will see as you turn it is the frame area change size and the finder move slightly up and down.

The image through the finder should always be sharp, unless the finder has been tampered with and put back together incorrectly or has been dropped and knocked an element out of position.

Yes, they are supplied with an instruction book. Marflex may have some we do not. They can be reached at 252 652-4401.

the instructions will also point out that the finder body can rotate on its accessory shoe so there is lots of clearence when rotating the camera back from horizontal to vertical. It will also point out that the masks are interchangeable and also rotate for horizontal and vertical orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by David Solow View Post
    A used Linhof 4x5 Multifocus Viewfinder just arrived. It is all black with three rings: one for lens focal length, one for focus and one for the orientation of the mask. I have tried the focus for all the focal lengths. Nothing is in focus. The focus never changes. Could I be doing something wrong? Does anybody know if there's an instruction manual?
    Why not pass on what you learned from Marflex?

I did speak to the gentleman at Marflex. As Bob said, everything should be in focus. It seems there is an internal problem that requires sending the viewfinder back to the factory. The repair would be about $850-$900 and take about a month or so. Instead I'm sending the viewfinder back.

Thanks for all your help,
    David