Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Sidinger, 2011 Artist-In-Residence @ Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve

Jim Sidinger

Jim Sidinger, 2011 Artist-In-Residence @ Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve

Just thought I'd let folks know that I have been selected and have chosen to participate in the fall, 2011 (as my friend Keith says: shameless self publicity).

Had done some work there off and on BLF (Before LF) but last fall's LF efforts got me excited to go back and do it even better for the extended period of the program + maybe some additional time on my own. Submitted for it in January and was fortunate enough to be selected.

Get to make photographs on the govt's dime (at least partially) as well as get access to the entire park for the period. Also includes a show at the park headquarters after. Very much looking forward to it.

Guess I'm now a USDI Certified Artist!

More park info on the program: www.nps.gov/grsa/artists-in-residence.htm
    My web site with a few images from last fall: www.JimSidinger.com

PS. Congrats to Drew on his AIR at Rocky Mountain National Park.

PPS. Check out Keith's writeup in April's Photographer's Formulary Newsletter:
    http://goo.gl/9KJXI

Re: Jim Sidinger, 2011 Artist-In-Residence @ Great Sand Dunes National Park and Prese

Jim,
    Well done! I am totally envious. You and Drew will be in two of the places which first HOOKED me on photography and the West.
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Re: Jim Sidinger, 2011 Artist-In-Residence @ Great Sand Dunes National Park and Prese

Good for you!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

congrats!
    I'd rather have my tax dollars go towards photography than jet fuel million dollar smart bombs.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Excellent! My congratulations as well!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Congratulations...well deserved judging from your images.

Jim Sidinger

Thanks for all of the thanks.

Just getting started digital-izing for web. Not easy to get it right and not nearly as fun as darkroom.

Jim: Congratulations!

Each Nat Park has a slightly different application process and management mechanism. I think its great that they want a showing of work produced while there. some of the programs want a public presentation of some sort as well. Do you have the option of selling any work while there?
    We will have to post a few images after its all over some time next Fall/winter and write about the how and what of the experience.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Jim Sidinger

Drew,
    You are right in that each park has it's own procedure. & yes, I think it is great to have a show as part of the deal. Not sure how much sells out of those but, you never know.

They have asked me to give a couple of talks/lectures while I am there as well.

I have not discussed the issue of selling my work while I am there with the folks at the park yet. Am still getting questions together on specifics like that.

I'd be interested in showing some results next winter (my time at GSDNPP is in October so I won't have much to show until then) if people would be interested. Also, I'd be happy to share about the experience as well - again, if there is interest.

Again, congratulations to you, as well.

East Coast USA, 2 blocks down on the left

That's wonderful! What a blissy kinda 'job'.