Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Nameless CCHarrison

Re: "Nameless CCHarrison

That's my lens!

No one is mentioning the fact that this lens did not have a cemented front lens group, as petzvals do. I called the seller before he posted the pictures of the front assembly, and asked about his title "four element". As we see, it was air separated in front...and back. I recommended he post pictures and explain what he was seeing. He only did the former and the bids kept going. (oh, but he did add that it was a CC Harrison when I mentioned that was a good maker and collectible)

I have no idea if it was original, something else CC Harrison was trying...like the spiral drive focus. Or if the original cemented pair in the front was replaced at some time with the two glass pieces. All I know is that isn't a Petzval portrait. Harrison did invent a lot of things...so this could be some other design.

The key question was when I asked the seller if it would form an image (I told him how to hold it near a wall). He replied, "oh there it is....about 2 inches from the wall". Something is wrong with that, unless it's a physically 2 inch long lens....it looked like about a 6-8 inch long lens physically, and a petzval this size should form an image at about 6-8 inches. I bet someone paid big for a useless collectible.
    Last edited by goamules; 29-Mar-2011 at 07:58.

Seems the less you say and the more ignorant you portray, the more frenzied the bidding. I think my next ebay sale is just going to say; some kind of old camera lens??
    and then a few pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Seems the less you say and the more ignorant you portray, the more frenzied the bidding. I think my next ebay sale is just going to say; some kind of old camera lens??
    and then a few pictures.
    Ha! I agree, and add that it works at both ends: an auction can say nothing but "brass lens", it will get high bids if it's a decent maker. And an auction can have a page and a half of blather and subterfuge and be nothing of value and get high bids. What doesn't sell are good maker lenses, honestly described, with a BuyItNow the same price as those other two!

Barry was right, this nameless lens caught the attention of all the geezers here:-) They can all spot a good lens from a mile away, whether at night or in a thunderstorm I feel honored to belong to the same geezer group now!

More importantly, some of us carried it a bit further than merely identifying the lens, and realized there was something suspect and didn't bid. I've got about 4 CC Harrison's missing one or another piece of glass. I didn't pay $1600 for any of them either. I could be wrong...the one listed may work perfectly well...

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by tuant View Post
    Barry was right, this nameless lens caught the attention of all the geezers here:-) They can all spot a good lens from a mile away, whether at night or in a thunderstorm I feel honored to belong to the same geezer group now!

Dang, that's depressing. I spotted it right off too. I've been paying attention here! What's depressing is maybe it means I'm becoming a geezer. If it had stayed cheap I would have bid. However, once it took off I had no interest. I don't bid on expensive things being offered by people who don't know anything about it. Too much at stake to deal with them unless I'm 100% positive.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I wonder if the "winner" [and I use that term loosely] will see these posts and acknowledge whether or not he purchased a "jewel" or a "dog". I am betting the "winner" will not post here and it is a "dog".

woof, woof. Jon