Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best place to get a good loupe

Re: Best place to get a good loupe

I have about all the loupes listed above. The Silvestri 6x is by far my favorite. It comes with a doohickey which is supposed to let you angle it but I removed this on both of mine and affixed the normal barrel. It's very compact and especially well made..Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    I have about all the loupes listed above. The Silvestri 6x is by far my favorite. It comes with a doohickey which is supposed to let you angle it but I removed this on both of mine and affixed the normal barrel. It's very compact and especially well made..Evan Clarke
    Evan, thanks for that. I am going to take a look. A store near me sells them....

Since you own them all - which one has the most light coming in ? Does your favorite hold up on that score?

Lenny

Leitz OTVXO, the upright 5x magnifier, part of the Visoflex II or III system. Adjustable eyepiece. Well built, fine glass.
    Good luck Lenny.
    Hans

My 6x Silvestri has held up very well. So has my 9x plastic Agfa. It is kind of hard to wear out a loupe. You can kill them by driving off with one one the roof of your car, or dropping it into a geyser pool, but that is why the expensive ones come with lanyards (I'll bet you were thinking those lanyards were to make on lookers mistake you for Otto Preminger!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've been loving my 8X Gaoersi loupe... The rubber on the end to avoid marring the GG is a nice touch, and the view is much wider and clearer than my plastic loupes.

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Dear Lenny &c.,

All this talk of loupes and linen testers and which one(s) each of us prefers is making me curious. Without wanting to appear overly facetious I'm wondering how much use we *really* make of them when we're in the field. You know, when, for one reason or another, we have to rapidly set up, take a photograph, take down, and move on. If I'm going to be honest, my linen tester rarely leaves my pocket or satchel. I'm far more inclined just to use the depth of field knob -- occasionally having a cursory look over the glass once I'm stopped down, but on the whole, just trusting it. (Its just so fast and convenient.) Am I alone in this?

Kind regards,

Richard

Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

I've acquired a few good "loupes" by disassembling old, cheap 35mm zoom lenses from the likes of Vivitar, Sears, and Kiron. At best, they were mediocre performers in their previous life, but quick dissection reveals component optics that are just as good as store-bought loupes.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    Without wanting to appear overly facetious I'm wondering how much use we *really* make of them when we're in the field.
    My cameras have no markings and no detents, so yes, a loupe is an absolute necessity.

Drew Wiley

I use a loupe every shot, period, and use it carefully, even with the 8x10. Can't imagine how anything could be seriously enlarged without checking first. I prefer something around 7X.

Preston Birdwell

I use a loupe on every shot, without fail. Given the cost of film and processing these days, I cannot afford not to.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."