Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

  1. #11

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    Jim, thanks for doing these. I can't tell you how much I enjoy them and the rest of your website.

    The lenses seem remarkably similar. Did you shoot the Heliar at f16? I may have missed that one. BTW, do you print these or just scan them? And do you use the same PanX for portraits? What is it...like asa 10?

  2. #12
    Will Whitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, for now...
    Posts
    988

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    I honestly can't tell the difference, at least not on a computer monitor.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Tonopah, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,772

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark MacKenzie View Post
    Jim, thanks for doing these. I can't tell you how much I enjoy them and the rest of your website.

    The lenses seem remarkably similar. Did you shoot the Heliar at f16? I may have missed that one. BTW, do you print these or just scan them? And do you use the same PanX for portraits? What is it...like asa 10?
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I honestly can't tell the difference, at least not on a computer monitor.
    They are pretty subtle. I didn't do a Heliar f16. 5 sheets fit in the Jobo. How dumb is that? These are all scans and I don't get the printing darkroom fired up often enough at all. I wish I had more sitters for portraits. All dressed up and nowhere to go. I would use Efke 100 for portraits if I had the folks I think. Pan X is asa 32. I find the 100 asa in open shade with window light is just about right for a packard shutter on instantaneous.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Same here. Tried last night and this morning.
    It's fine now. Maybe all Jim's fans were trying to look at the same time, and we know there are millions of them.

    I see very subtle differences, but AI don't know how much is due to light changes and/or camera position changes. Both lenses make wonderful images.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ
    http://www.jimcolephoto.com

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    720

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    I have enjoyed all of Jim's little experiments as shown and described on his website.

  6. #16
    Meat Robot Jay Decker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Third Stone from the Sun
    Posts
    406

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    It is interesting that you should post this comparison. I've been shooting my "big guns", which for me are the lenses that are too big to fit on a 8x10 Kodak 2D's 6x6 lens board, to figure out what the differences are and what I like best. And, it is difficult for me to identify which lens characteristics are relevant and to choose the lenses that I like best. Maybe it is the variety of lenses that I've been shooting, which include a 42cm Universal Heliar, Euroscop Series IV No. 7 (now sold), Eidoscope No. 1, 16" Kodak Portrait Lens, 18" B&L UNAR, and 16" B&L 3A Petzval.

    What lens characteristics in the image do you look at/for and do you have any preferences in what you like?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Tonopah, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,772

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    It is interesting that you should post this comparison. I've been shooting my "big guns", which for me are the lenses that are too big to fit on a 8x10 Kodak 2D's 6x6 lens board, to figure out what the differences are and what I like best. And, it is difficult for me to identify which lens characteristics are relevant and to choose the lenses that I like best. Maybe it is the variety of lenses that I've been shooting, which include a 42cm Universal Heliar, Euroscop Series IV No. 7 (now sold), Eidoscope No. 1, 16" Kodak Portrait Lens, 18" B&L UNAR, and 16" B&L 3A Petzval.

    What lens characteristics in the image do you look at/for and do you have any preferences in what you like?

    Hi Jay. Nothing scientifically quantifiable for you. Pure gut feeling. Like tools in the toolbox. I allow myself this latitude in artistic endeavors. If I allowed the same method in real life, well, then..........I'd be a removed, too early in the AM to mis-behave.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

  8. #18
    Meat Robot Jay Decker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Third Stone from the Sun
    Posts
    406

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Nothing scientifically quantifiable for you. Pure gut feeling. Like tools in the toolbox.
    Well, at the risk of showing my ignorance, here's what I've been comparing:

    1) Bokeh, the out of focus rendering of specular highlights.

    2) Out of focus rendering/transitions of light and dark regions.

    3) Small scale local contrast, aka "micro contrast", in the in focus regions.

    4) Transition of in focus to out of focus regions.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Tonopah, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,772

    Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    Well, at the risk of showing my ignorance, here's what I've been comparing:

    1) Bokeh, the out of focus rendering of specular highlights.

    2) Out of focus rendering/transitions of light and dark regions.

    3) Small scale local contrast, aka "micro contrast", in the in focus regions.

    4) Transition of in focus to out of focus regions.
    And, are you finding some that you like more than others, some that you really don't like, ??

    My problem is I tend to like them all. From one end of the spectrum to the other, I feel all of them might have their special thing they would do best.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Similar Threads

  1. Voigtlander Portrait Euryscop III 3A #40101
    By SadChi in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2008, 21:41
  2. Can you mount a 42cm Heliar on Deardorff
    By misoya in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2008, 09:10
  3. Datapoint: pre-Dagor 7" Series III coverage
    By john wilton in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2008, 12:43
  4. What Heliar for Portrait Work?
    By Hugo_6476 in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2006, 21:43

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •