Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Any real difference between Rodenstock and Schneider?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Any real difference between Rodenstock and Schneider?

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    I think the weak factor will not be the lens anyway it will be:
    1. the man behind the camera
    2. the registration of the groundglass and film
    3. are the standards of the camera 100% exatly as they should be
    4. the wind!

Cheers Armin
    5. usually the things I photograph refuse to fall into a single plane of focus.
    Stupid 3-dimensional world.

They are equivalent manufacturers, although over the years Schneider has probably made more lenses and more money.

While they have both made some real dogs, mostly they have made good stuff.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    They are equivalent manufacturers, although over the years Schneider has probably made more lenses and more money.

While they have both made some real dogs, mostly they have made good stuff.

Lynn
    Which Schneider? The current company formed in the early 80's or the bankrupt and liquidated comany that included Isco projection and movie lenses for 8 and Super 8mm that was liquidated and then purchased by Mandermann?

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    5. usually the things I photograph refuse to fall into a single plane of focus.
    Stupid 3-dimensional world.
    Uh, yeah. And that's the issue with many of the vastly blown-up images used for comparison on the Internet.

It's also why sharpness is a buzzword. People use it to discuss fine effects while missing gross effects, like any of these 5 points from Armin and Paul.

Rick "sharpness is a state of mind" Denney

I just qoute a german gent in a german photogforum:
    My wife is sharper then your lens anyway;--))))

Cheers Armin

Exclamation Re: Any real difference between Rodenstock and Schneider?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Which Schneider? The current company formed in the early 80's or the bankrupt and liquidated comany that included Isco projection and movie lenses for 8 and Super 8mm that was liquidated and then purchased by Mandermann?
    Since I asked specifically about competing Apo product lines, one might reasonably assume that the question focused on the manufacturer thereof.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Since I asked specifically about competing Apo product lines, one might reasonably assume that the question focused on the manufacturer thereof.

- Leigh
    This was a question to Lynn Jones not to you.

What do you believe to be the difference? The current company (owned by Mandermann) is not only the successor of the (once insolvent, but never liquidated) Jos. Schneider Optische Werke Kreuznach, but it is actually the same, complete with buildings, staff and all assets - Mandermann did not re-found Schneider, but acquired them out of the German equivalent of chapter 11.

ISCO, by the way, has only become a part of Schneider about three years ago, when Schneider bought them. It started as a formally independent company, supposedly to make projection lenses, but in reality it was a smoke screen to allow A.W.Tronnier to develop aerial recon optics - the assumed reasons being somewhere between Schneider protecting their international reputation against negative publicity over such a breach of the Versailles treaty, and the arrangement allowing Tronnier to work based upon both Zeiss and Schneider patents without leaking them to the respective other. What was left of ISCO after the war eventually was taken over by the local management and lost the remaining already loose tie to the Schneider family as a minority shareholder.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

To be perfectly honest, this demonstrates why I bought Schneider lenses. The MTF curves from both companies looked practically identical. When I called Schneider for more information I got a technician who gave me a patient and impartial education about optics. When I called Rodenstock I got Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    What do you believe to be the difference? The current company (owned by Mandermann) is not only the successor of the (once insolvent, but never liquidated) Jos. Schneider Optische Werke Kreuznach, but it is actually the same, complete with buildings, staff and all assets - Mandermann did not re-found Schneider, but acquired them out of the German equivalent of chapter 11.

ISCO, by the way, has only become a part of Schneider about three years ago, when Schneider bought them. It started as a formally independent company, supposedly to make projection lenses, but in reality it was a smoke screen to allow A.W.Tronnier to develop aerial recon optics - the assumed reasons being somewhere between Schneider protecting their international reputation against negative publicity over such a breach of the Versailles treaty, and the arrangement allowing Tronnier to work based upon both Zeiss and Schneider patents without leaking them to the respective other. What was left of ISCO after the war eventually was taken over by the local management and lost the remaining already loose tie to the Schneider family as a minority shareholder.
    Isco was a part of Schneider prior to Mandermann buying the company. The company was closed, Isco was spun off, and employees were reduced. He then re-opened as a new company with a different name.

Isco may have since been re-acquired by the current Schneider but not by Heinrich Mandermann. He died several years ago. His acquistions included B+W, Rollei as well as Schneider.