Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Commercial Ektar Lenses

Kodak Commercial Ektar Lenses

I am looking for any comments and/or recomendations on Kodak Commercial Ektar Lenses. I'm looking for something in the 10" to 12" range to use on a 4x5 field camera. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've used Commercial Ektars in the past, but I don't have any at the moment. I like the 10" model (12" is a bit long for my tastes). Almost all (all?) that were shuttered were in shutters made for Kodak by Ilex. I'm quite fond of Ilex shutters, especially the #3 and #4. They're very easy to work on and built like a tank.

As for the glass, some (maybe even most) are single coated, but as they are a Tessar design, it's not to big of an issue. The ones I've had were sharp and had nice contrast. When they were introduced, they were very well respected for color work. I've since replaced mine with Ilex Paragons, which I feel have a better "look" for portraiture.

They are well-regarded lenses, a little physically large for some backpackers and a little long (particuarly the 12") for the bellows of some backpacker's cameras. In buying one, an"L" in a circle amongst the markings means that it is (single) coated.

Because of their good reputation, they are rarely available at bargain prices. Occasionally, a later prduction equivalent shows up, such as a Commercial Congo or Komura. The Congos are available new. I just saw a Komura on eBay, but I don't remember the focal length. One advantage of these is that they are in shutters that conform to current standards.

Bob,

My very first lens for 4x5 which was given to me was a Ektar flash supermatic 152mm. It produced very good negatives, however, I had no way of comparision. That was in the late 80's. Since then, I have purchased another lens, and lenses, a Rodenstock at 155mm in a lens deal. Now that I have two lenses in that approx wide angle coverage, I have the ability to compare.

I'm now parcial to the Ektar for several reasons. It's very sharp for one. Perhaps more importantly, it is small & light weight as compared to the Rodenstock. However, when doing studio work/strobe, being that it is an older lens design, it is not as quick focusing as the Rodenstock. But I still use it for strobe work, dependant upon what I'm doing.. This info may be of use to you. Raymond

I've handled a 14" Commercial Ektar, as I was contemplating it for the same reason. My observation is that while probably more than fine optically, it's in a shutter the size of a tea saucer that may or may not fit on a 4" lens board, and is heavy to boot. You'd probably be better off looking at either a G-Claron, or 300mm Nikkor-M. It's notably bigger than my 12" Raptar in #4 Betax, which already causes stability problems when racked out for semi-close work.

Have you considered one of the Wollensak 15" tele-raptars, mounted in a shutter? Probably similar in weight but will require less bellows.

As others have commented, they are very good lenses but somewhat bulky for a field camera. Occasionally some haze can be found between the lens elements in the front cell, degrading contrast - this is something to watch out for.

Robert, most 12" Commercials I've seen are in #4 Acmes. If its not too large for your camera, it would be an excellent lens for the price. If size is an issue, I'd go along with the earlier recommendations of looking at the G-Claron---the 240mm is especially attractive, and the 300mm Nikkor M. I have both the 240 G-Claron and the 300mm Nikkor M as well as a 14"(not 12") Commercial Ektar. All are IMHO great lenses. Price-wise, I think the 240 G-Claron would be the way to go on a 4x5---much less than the Nikkor, not too much more than what a good Commercial Ektar would go for and a newish little lightwieght Copal #1 shutter to boot---a fine combination!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Commercial Ektar is a very nice lens and I use a 12 incher for 8x10. It is a bit large, in a #4 Acme shutter, and may be too large for a 4x5. It depends on how big your lens boards are. They also are a little heavy. But if size and weight are not a problem, they give good results.

I am looking to replace an Ilex 4 so I can use my Kodak Commercial ektar cells.
    The front one has a screw diameter of about 2 and 3/8 and the rear is about the same 2 and 3/8. Anyone one have a shutter that will fit my cells? Thanks..Stan..In Vermont

Stan,

IMHO, Unless you want to invest in some serious machining your best bet is to find another Ilex #4 with "made for Eastman Kodak" on the face.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White