Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Sper-Angulon f/8 question

Schneider Sper-Angulon f/8 question

Considering getting this lens as opposed to the f/5.6 version (size and weight savings basically).
    The question is since it's relatively "slow" (f/8) how hard is it to compose and focus with, center, corners ?
    Anyone have/had one ?

Thanks,
    Fred

Re: Schneider Sper-Angulon f/8 question

I own the lens though I've used a f/5.6 as well. The 90mm f/8 is pretty sharp without and ghosting or such. It's not too difficult to focus or compose, just might have to take some time with it. Overall, it's pretty easy to find a good deal for one (I got it in a trade) but I would still go for the f/5.6 if I could.

I own a 90mm f8 SA and it's one of my favorite lens. I am able to focus without to much difficultly. I do carry two small flash lights which are helpful in dimly light scenes. Another favorite lens is my G-Claron f9 maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

I'd buy one and try it, you can always sell it if you decide you need the f5.6.

Roger

This question comes up regularly, and I suggest the following... regularly. It doesn't seem to be getting through very often though... Maybe I'm on everyone's "ignore" list :-)

Anyway, if you wish to see how bright an f/8 lens is, and how difficult is is for you to focus with your ground glass, just stop a lens you already have down to f/8 and then focus with it. Easy and definitive.

Hope this helps,

BTW, I have a slug of f/8 and f/9 lenses which I focus with no difficulty whatsoever, with both Fresnel screens and regular ground glass. With the latter, a good dark cloth is a necessity, but once your eyes adjust to the dark, the image is more than adequately bright.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Doremus, I'm sort of with you but not completely. In my experience long slow lenses are much easier to focus than short slow lenses. Much much easier to compose with too, 'cos they illuminate the corners better.

So your advice to Fred to try focusing stopped down isn't all that good unless he already has a short fast lens.

FWIW, my slowest short lens is a 60/14 Perigraphe that I use on a 2x3 Century Graphic. As expected, hard to focus. As not expected, not that hard to compose with.

Or split the difference and go for the 6.8 Grandagon-N. It is half a stop faster then the f8 SA and only half a stop slower then the 5.6 SA. But not much larger then the f8 and much smaller a lighter then the 5.6.

Great, Bob, how did I know that you would say that? We have known one another as friends from competing companies for over 40 years.

However, for the rest of us there were improvements between the f8 and the f 5.6, the biggest difference from a user standpoint is 100 to 105 degrees of coverage. Obviously none of use ever shoots wide open, in fact I rarely shoot wide angles wider open than f16.

Lynn

If weight is an issue remember the f/8 is lighter. Especially when you find one with a Synchro-Compur #00 shutter instead of the newer #0 Copal.

Dan,

Yes, I know that the angle of incidence from a shorter lens will affect the apparent brightness of the image some, especially at the corners. I should have mentioned that. But, this is more of an issue with Fresnel lenses than with regular ground glass. Keep in mind, that the film doesn't need extra exposure for a shorter lens! F/8 is f/8.

With a longer lens stopped down to a particular stop, the corners may be easier to see than with a shorter one. This effect is secondary, however, and one can still get a good idea of how bright the ground-glass image will be. Maybe stopping down another half-stop would be a good idea, as would using the closest focal-length lens one had to do the test.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Fred, given that you're in Tucson the bright desert sun should make it easy for you to focus the f/8 90 SA.

I have this lens as well, and to be honest when under tree cover I can have a hard time focusing it. a fresnel would help, but my 4x5 back is just a GG.
    The listee who said that slow long lenses are easier to focus than slow short lenses is absolutely right. a 300/f9? No trouble to focus at all. a 90 f/8? enh...not so much.

The 90SA is fairly large *for an f/8* lens, but that's supported I guess by the image circle which should even cover 5x7 straight-on. (not tried it myself)
    Lastly, the brighter options at this focal length take 82mm filters, but the SA keeps it to 67mm.

If I were buying now, I might actually look for a 75mm instead, or an 80XL. Those are brighter, still take 67mm and are fairly lightweight. but, obviously not quite the same FOV. good luck.