Thread: Shooting a ship at a distance

Shooting a ship at a distance

On july 23rd I will be in Anstruther to get a few shots of the QE2 as it stops o ff there. I also will be taking photos (hopefully) from there to Elie mainly of the coastline and ruins/Scottish national trust buildings - Neuark castle and th e salt pans at St Monans. Heres' the thing though I'm sure that the QE2 will bearth about half amile off shore as I think the harbour will be too shallow/small, and the longest lens I h ave for my MPP is a 203 Ektar in a prontor svs shutter, so any advice for shooti ng this, and some other seascapes ( hopefully I'll get some like Gustaf le Grey) . Thanks

David: Any chance of renting a telephoto lens for a couple of days? It's kind of late to be making any complicated solution plans. You might be able to beg-borrow-rent a long lens. The extra extension rails on the MPP will let you use quite a long lens. I have used a 15" lens on my MPP and I am sure it will focus at infinity a longer lens. Good luck with it.

I think you'l want one of the Nikkor T lens sets: more to the point you'll want the 600/800/1200 combination. These are all telephotos.

You could use the finest grain highest resolution film you can and crop the negative.

If the geography allows it, there might some land or a pier that juts into the harbor to allow a closer camera position.

Then you could hire a boat and go into the harbor. A fast film might be required, depending upon the stability of the water that day.

You might try an old series 6 telextender (I think the brand I have is "telek"). These were single-element telephoto versions of the convex "closeup attachments" which used to be popular. There will be some image degradation, but stopped down it should still be OK.