Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Durst L1200 maximum print size

Re: Durst L1200 maximum print size

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    I wonder if the fact that this enlarger was originally configured for a university biology lab has anything to do with its peculiarities? Both the adjustment rod and the stop ring.
    I find it amazing to see how many different combinations of setups there are on all the Durst enlargers, it seems to be endless.

Where your ring was, I have a small set screw to limit the rise of the lower stage.

I refer to to Fine Focus (lower) and Course Focus (upper) but the actually travel at the same degree of movement along the chrome bars, it is just that I can not use a grain focus and reach the upper knob at the same time, so the lower control has, by default become the "fine focus". I would guess with that extension arm, it is more convenient to use the upper as the fine focus when looking through the grain focusing loop?

My 138s came from a lab too, and the negative holder has a slot for 35mm by about 4 inches long. I am guessing that it was a custom made item to suit their needs, I have not even tried to use it to date, but one day I will try to print a four frame 35mm strip enlarged to 14 inches across, just to see how it looks.

Referring to the two focussing controls on the side. The top one is either just a knob or a telescopic rod, and the telescopic rod was used on the taller columned L1200s. With the model with two knobs, the rate of turn for a given change in focus is the same for these, so there is no difference, so use either for fine focus. With the rod, there is a gearing system which makes it easier to fine focus with the rod.

The plastic joint on the rod is going on my one, i'll probably replace it with a brass universal joint when it finally goes...

As for the split ring on the focus column stopping the maximum extension, this will have been in place to stop you crunching a lens into the glass holders or your film. Depending on lenses, and what protrudes out the back, and the choice of lens board this distance will be different. My L1200s can both collapse their bellows completely when needed which is handy for transporting them. My pictochrom can't collapse the bellows so far, as it's got a shutter mechanism which sits below the film holder which would get damaged, so there is a limit to how far the bellows can collapse.

The Bellows won't compress any more because this stop is on the rod, and looks like it's supposed to stay there (I can't find an easy way to get it off).
    http://www.davidaimone.com/img/s6/v6/p270785137-4.jpg
    David - The bellows should contract all the way, to the point where you no longer see any bellows.
    There are two focusing controls: one with the wand and the other with the knob just below (near the 'stop'). Use the wand first to retract the bellows and when that stops, use the knob for greater retraction of the bellows.
    I own the last models of the L1200 and hopefully yours will work the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    That lock ring is weird...Mine doesn't have and my bellows will compress almost all the way to neg carrier piece.

Take it off...
    No! Don't take it off! I hope you haven't; it's supposed to stay in place.
    Wish I had read all the posts a little more carefully...

Nicholas O. Lindan

this stop is on the rod, and looks like it's supposed to stay there
    I can't think of any reason for a stop in that position unless it is to keep a very-recessed lens from hitting the negative - but then without the clip one wouldn't need to recess the lens. I can't see anyone removing the rod to grind a groove, so I would hazard it is a factory installed whatever-it-is-feature.

Does anyone else have a groove in that position on their L1200 style Durst?

The stop looks like a circlip. They are easy enough to remove [well they are if you have some snap-ring pliers, a bit of a PITA with a screwdriver and pliers]. BUT with the clip located in the middle of the shaft like that I'm not sure how you would slip it off once you had opened it up. Unless it is a soft-deformable clip, in which case just pry it open and off. You can always replace it with a ring of copper wire or some-such if you find you do need it.