Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Need Grubb Lens Expertise

I won an apparent Grubb B lens on eBay today - I was looking originally for a Grubb-C Aplanatic Pat. 1857 in order to share acquaintance with one of what Watkins apparently worked with. I looked up information in Vademecum and it seems that this meniscus style lens may have been labelled B even though they were usually labelled C previously? Were the other Bs RRs? What do I have here and from what year? My B lens has serial number 2890 and one sold a while back in another venue and labelled C has serial number 2795, same dimensions as mine (mine is 12" focal length). But, they look like the same lens design to me - see below (mine, labelled B is on the right). Can someone please elucidate? Thank you!

When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

I'll browse my literature and come back to you.

There has been a previous discussion with illustrations.
    It is obvious that the VM's suggestion about the meaning (type of product) of the A B etc is wrong and that there seems to be a connection with size.
    I have the same lens as you - labelled A sn 1686.
    Many have an additional smaller number(?) after the large letter. Mine looks like A followed by small 6. Main barrel is just over 57mm in diameter.

The attached image is from Milan Zahorcak from his ebay listing of the lens.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Thanks guys, any idea what year that serial # puts it at?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Dear Richard. This was my answer to you last time you asked me (February last year).

"Check out the recent thread here (December) on Grubb. This objective is identical to the one I have - my serial number is 1686. This is the Dublin period probably 1858/1859. Patent date is 1857 I think. There is no other info available on line."

If some could measure their barrel diameter (like I have done) we might be able to say something about the letter/number code. This includes both the loose washer and the rotary later variation.

I have just been in and re-read the VM on Grubb. There are quite a lot of serial numbers and sizes given there and "letters" and focal lengths. Perhaps if aplanatic owners here could do a check of letters/numbers, serial number, focal length and barrel diameter, we could could crack the "Henry Grubb" code?

I'll post my information as soon as I get the lens, which is winging over as we read this...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I have just been in and re-read the VM on Grubb.

Steven, I went back and reread the December posts and I am more confused than ever...I hope that a few measurements and posts might help here. Seems a bit random to me...

After exhaustive searching, I found ads for Grubb's lens....1883

Dan

PS - I think, like Steven, it has to do with barrel size/depth - flange size??. Here is a nice image of an 'A' model http://www.peterloy.com/_images/gall...97444459-1.jpg

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html