Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

Re: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I have added what looks like a stereo pair ( 2409/2410 aplanatic D) to-day to the serial number/type listing.
    As these are quite small, I must conclude that "D" lenses are not those those that cover more 8"x10", but are for the standard stereo size of the period. I remember that Dallmeyer had specific lens series that were designated "stereoscopic" during this period.

These two tiny lenses (glass diameter just over 1") were listed as two separate items. 2409 had another front lens added. there was a simplied aperture system on these D lenses.
    Well I took the risk and bought 2409. The added front lens has proven to be a Ross Symmetric No.3 of 5" focal length from about 1875-1880 and complete, except for its wheel stops. I'm pretty sure that the only reason it was fitted to the Grubb lens is because the thread (~38mm diameter) happened to be the same - does anyone know the specification of this thread? I'll sell on the Ross lens I think, as its of little interest to me and whilst it was an interesting addition, I very much doubt that it actually should have been fitted to the Grubb.

Which leaves the Grubb lens. Its coverage is surprisingly large - Whole Plate I think, viewing it roughly on a 10" x 8" screen - and larger than I'd have anticipated for a stereo lens. Any comments about this would be appreciated. I can probably get a new 'top hat style brass frontage made for the Grubb, or perhaps simply fit a shutter on the front in order to use it instead. I'm assuming, as above, that since the lens is engraved 'patent' that its optics are in fact of Grubb's Aplanatic patent design?

I didn't think there was any risk - either with 2409 or 2410 and I made bids only on 2409 because of the flange being present! It is certainly aplanatic!
    I was surprised the stereo "crowd" didn't try and get this pair as there can't be many Grubb stereo sets which are still intact - except those still on their original cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I didn't think there was any risk - either with 2409 or 2410 and I made bids only on 2409 because of the flange being present! It is certainly aplanatic!
    I was surprised the stereo "crowd" didn't try and get this pair as there can't be many Grubb stereo sets which are still intact - except those still on their original cameras.
    Hahaha ... I was going to bid on both and missed the second one because of an IT failure ...

Ohhh well ...

Thanks for the replies. I intend to use the lens so I may get a replacement brass section made as I know someone who probably can do this. From measurements made off the photos of 2410 it looks like the figures were all very simple (in 1/8" increments for the most part by the look of it). Anyway FWIW, and I hope Stephen doesn't mind, here's an updated list of Grubbs which includes text of their engraved information where available, information (in brackets) and whether a photograph (P) has been taken/viewed/seen. Any more info/photos welcomed!

264 Grubb Patent P
    359 Grubb Dublin (petzval 1/4 plate?)
    483 Grubb Dublin Patent P
    509 Grubb Patent (helicoid aplanatic) P
    546 Grubb Patent (helicoid aplanatic)
    552 Grubb Patent Sold by W. Morley. 70 Upper St
    588 Grubb Patent
    647 Aplanatic (sciencemuseum.org.uk made in 1857)
    696 Grubb Patent
    756 (C?) Grubb Patent (helicoid aplanatic) P
    790 (ebay - described as '10”x8” landscape’ (petzval?) P
    870 (landscape?)
    879 A Grubb Patent (landscape?) P
    986 A2 (petzval - the "A2" has a different style engraving style)
    993 A2 Grubb Dublin (petzval?) P
    1066 A3 Grubb Dublin (petzval) P
    1449 A2 (small petzval)
    1539 C Grubb Patent (landscape? 43cm) P
    1554 C Grubb Patent (on ebay - no glass) P
    1686 A (1858/9?)
    1918 A0 Grubb Patent
    2071 A3 Grubb Dublin (petzval? 140mm) P
    2215 B Grubb Patent Doublet P looks identical to 2216/7
    2216 B Grubb Patent Doublet - Stereo Pair with 2217
    2217 B Grubb Patent Doublet P (engraving only)
    2227 Grubb Doublet Aplanatic Meniscus (Single) (Waterhouse Stops)
    2241 A Grubb Patent P
    2409 D Grubb Patent (approx. 5 1/2" & appears to cover whole plate) P
    2410 D Grubb Patent (probably as 2409 - stereo pair?) P
    2603 Grubb Patent (8” f/8) - 1862 Hasbroeck
    2627 E Grubb Patent Aplanatic Meniscus (Single) (7in?)
    2676 A3 Grubb Dublin (ebay - missing the front glass) P
    2719 C ???
    2729 B Grubb Patent Aplanatic Meniscus (Single) (10in?)
    2795 C ???
    2890 B ???
    3147 A0 Grubb Patent P
    3465 Grubb Doublet
    3510 D Grubb Patent (Barrel engraved ' Sold by Morley 70 Upper St. 6012'. Morley's number of 6012 is also on the flange) P
    3631 Ax Grubb Patent (1864?) P
    - - - Could be around 1878 when Thomas Grubb died? - - -
    5046 Howard Grubb Aplanatic Doublet (Watson engraved double celled aplanatic) P
    5148 Grubb Doublet
    5204 Grubb Doublet
    5218 ???
    5308 Howard Grubb Dublin Aplanatic 10 x 8 P
    Last edited by pgk; 22-Nov-2018 at 08:55. Reason: Updated

No problem - I normally update the original list of serial number and types without a completely new posting.

Morley was quite a high volume seller of stereoscopic sets, so the D lens 3510 supports the idea of D being reserved for stereo paired lenses. 1554 C looks to be very strange item!

I found it a little surprising that attention was indirectly drawn to those lenses (active auctions on eBay) before the auctions ended. Against forum etiquette, if not rules.

Yes, looking at posting #29 now does give the impression of a rule break!

The posting during the ebay listing was just the first two paragraphs, which are innocent.

The last paragraph (and attached photo) was added AFTER the listing had ended.

This advert of Grubb Lenses from circa 1870 may help somewhat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grubb Salomon Advert 1870 01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	185253

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grubb Salomon Advert 1870 02.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	185254

Well, we were not really in error!!

One problem is that that so few of the larger aplanatics (larger than D) have survived and he used C and D for small stereoscopic sets as well as larger mono lenses.

Indeed, but this may be less surprising if we conjecture that Grubb might actually have built bespoke lenses. Having looked at photographs of all those I can find which have been posted on the web, its pretty clear that the variation in design is immense. Given that Grubb built most telescopes to order, I personally strongly suspect that this way of operating probably also applied to photographic lenses. Perhaps few large lenses survive because few were ever built, due to both expense and the need to order them from Dublin at a time when London was probably considered to be a 'centre' for photographic equipment.Just my conjecture though.