Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting and Cutting Sintra

Mounting and Cutting Sintra

We have been mounting inkjet prints to Sintra in our printing studio with some success and I am wondering if anybody has advice on cutting Sintra and mounting to it.

We are currently using a pressure sensitive adhesive made by www.gbc.com and a cold mount roller machine. We have had success with this adhesive for the most part, however, we have had a print or two with some bubbles (I'm guessing flaws in the adhesive roll) but the adhesive is very strong and ph neutral. Does anybody have any other pressure sensitive adhesive recommendations?

Our primary concern is getting a good cut on the Sintra and particularly the thicker 6mm sheets. We purchased a KeenCut Excalibur 5000 and have had some success. Issues involve the blade bending producing uneven cuts or the blade jumping producing jagged cuts. Even when we do get an even smooth cut on the edge of the Sintra, the print bends out at the edge a little bit. How do you mount the print to the Sintra and cut the print / Sintra so that the edges of both are perfectly smooth and even? We have tried mounting and then cutting the print and Sintra together and also cutting the Sintra to size (minus 1/8") mounting the print and then trimming the print excess from the back with similar results.

Any advice from photographers/mounters/framers who have had successful results cutting and mounting to Sintra would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best,
    Patrick Allen
    http://www.kenallenstudios.com/

Drew Wiley

Re: Mounting and Cutting Sintra

Why do you need Sintra? It certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Why do you need Sintra? It certainly wouldn't be my first choice.
    What would be a better choice?

Roger

Sintra is a very popular substrate for mounting. It is rigid and can be used for displaying a piece without a frame or in a frame. We also mount to Dibond but Sintra is less expensive and we have a lot of requests for it. We just need the edge of the print to be perfectly in line with the Sintra.

Best,
    Patrick Allen
    http://www.kenallenstudios.com

We have a Fletcher di bond cutter , plexi and it works well for sintra.

Keep humidiy up in room , and sometimes we go to the seal face mount product
    for sensitive problem free mounts.
    We use di bond or omega bond a lot , but still have applications for sintra.

If you are getting into face to plexi with dibond backing (which seems to be the flavour of the month) getting exact cuts are really a PIA even with the Fletcher.
    We are lucky that a friendly lab in the city has a moster xy cutter that will cut exact sizes so we lay the plexi over the diabond, they cut together for a perfect fit.

GBC is a quality outfit, just may need to move to the face mount adhesive for more critical work.. it is really expensive .

Sintra is interesting stuff.

Rather than mounting my prints to it, I use it as my work surface. I've got two 4x8 work tables, each with a sheet of Sintra on top of it.

I use it because the hand-held OLFA rotary cutter I trim the edges of matboard, and trim out oversize inkjet prints, does not cut the SINTRA. It marks it with a line, but behaves more like a self-healing mat. To actually cut through the Sintra with the rotary blade, I really have to bear down.

Oddly, in comparison, SINTRA cuts easily with a razor or Xacto knife. To get a straight cut though, I need to use a straight edge guide (a 40" Logan model).

Are you cutting the Sintra in one pass or multiple passes ?

Googling the KeenCut machine, it looks to use box/carpet cutting blades
    if you're doing the cut in one pass the blade may be binding and
    bending giving you off cuts.
    Or it could be the Keen Cut has a alignment/ straightness
    problem.
    Sintra is foamed PVC and 6mm is almost .25 inch thick, that's pretty
    thick to try to blade cut in one pass. One thought is to try to keep the blade lubed
    if you're doing a one pass cut, liquid hand soap, dishwashing liquid,
    might work and can be rinsed off.
    My experience with Sintra is prop making, and I've used table saws, band saws,
    and hand held circular saws to cut it, I rarely cut it by hand.

Thanks for the info everybody.

Jim: It takes about 5 passes to cut through the Sintra. I think the blade would probably snap in half if we tried it in one pass! Keeping the blade lubed is a good idea though. We are still considering a saw, but the problem is not so much that we cant get a good cut on the sintra as it is getting a good cut on the photograph once mounted to the Sintra. Im wondering if you mount the print and then cut the mounted piece with a saw if you will get a nice clean edge on both the photgraph and Sintra.

Bob: We are not going to venture into the Plexi-face mounting jobs so we outsource this work. Do you use the Seal Face Mounting Adhesive to mount a print to Sintra, Dibond, etc.? Or is it only used for face mounting?

Best,
    Patrick

Both
    we find this adhesive to be really smooth mount, specifically for flex gloss prints on diabond where there is no margin for error.
    Face mounting is really a PIA but when done well a really wonderful process./

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    Thanks for the info everybody.

Jim: It takes about 5 passes to cut through the Sintra. I think the blade would probably snap in half if we tried it in one pass! Keeping the blade lubed is a good idea though. We are still considering a saw, but the problem is not so much that we cant get a good cut on the sintra as it is getting a good cut on the photograph once mounted to the Sintra. Im wondering if you mount the print and then cut the mounted piece with a saw if you will get a nice clean edge on both the photgraph and Sintra.

Bob: We are not going to venture into the Plexi-face mounting jobs so we outsource this work. Do you use the Seal Face Mounting Adhesive to mount a print to Sintra, Dibond, etc.? Or is it only used for face mounting?

Best,
    Patrick

Drew Wiley

There are several potential problems with blade-cutting, involving either the strength
    of the blade connection and bars in the cutter, or more often, the quality of the blades
    themselves. If it's a conventional utility-knife blade, get something made in Japan with
    quality steel rather than the usual made in China Stanley etc stuff. This really helps. Sawing is a poor option unless you own the right kind of equipment. I can easily cut even thin honeycomb plastic very clean on a true electronic rail saw. Works best if the material is sandwiched between sheets of comparable material. Keeping abrasive dust off the print will be a bigger problem. I'd avoid sawing unless you're willing to invest in appropriate equipment, including the HEPA vac extraction system. Sintra cuts poorly with a hook blade unless you constantly sharpen it; hook blades work better for scoring acrylic. If I had to use Sintra I'd precisely size it with a precision saw first, then mount the print, then trim the oversize edges of the print with a guided razor system. But again, you need the right gear or need to switch to a substrate which will cut cleaner with your existing system.