Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westminster Mat Board

Westminster Mat Board

Does anyone out there have a line on the availability of "Westminster" 100% cotton rag mat board? Light Impressions seems to be the only one offering it and I am leery about dealing with them again because of their past melt down and inability to deliver the product.

Re: Westminster Mat Board

After a lot of comparison, I am convinced that Westminster is really Rising rag board. I've been using Rising for years and have saved a lot of money and can't tell the difference.

I, too, wish to order some more Westminster cotton rag board and I am also reluctant to order from Light Impressions at this time considering other members experiences. In fact, the last time I ordered cotton rag it did not resemble the cotton rag that they had been shipping previously. It was a lot harder and too easy to get a nice cut.

Thanks, Robert, for the tip on Rising. Do you order directly or deal with a supplier?
    al

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    I, too, wish to order some more Westminster cotton rag board and I am also reluctant to order from Light Impressions at this time considering other members experiences. In fact, the last time I ordered cotton rag it did not resemble the cotton rag that they had been shipping previously. It was a lot harder and too easy to get a nice cut.

Thanks, Robert, for the tip on Rising. Do you order directly or deal with a supplier?
    I have gotten it from United Manufacturers in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Peirce View Post
    Does anyone out there have a line on the availability of "Westminster" 100% cotton rag mat board? Light Impressions seems to be the only one offering it and I am leery about dealing with them again because of their past melt down and inability to deliver the product.
    Noel,
    I contacted Lumiere Photo the other day. It is owned by the original owner of Light Impressions. I specifically inquired about the Westminster 100% Rag Board Bright White 4-ply Buffered because that is what I use. Bob, the store manager, wrote back and said that the Lumiere Rag White (stock #1005) is the same board.
    Susan

Has anyone ever seen/bought "Westminster" board from any vendor other than LI?

I believe it is/was an LI house brand.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Has anyone ever seen/bought "Westminster" board from any vendor other than LI?

I believe it is/was an LI house brand.

- Leigh
    No I haven't. I was under the impression that "Westminster" was one of LI's house brands. Recently I have been using Rising mat board. Surface texture is very close to Westminster. I can't compare color because my remaining Westminster is bright white and the Rising is natural white. Pretty much looks like the same stuff.

Roger

Big thanks to all who responded to my inquiry into Westminster. As a first time participant on LFP I was quite impressed with the quick and informed responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Recently I have been using Rising mat board. Surface texture is very close to Westminster. I can't compare color because my remaining Westminster is bright white and the Rising is natural white. Pretty much looks like the same stuff.
    I can compare Rising (natural white), which I use exclusively, to Westminster (bright white), which I was given. I can see no apparent difference. I would say that Rising Museum Board is the finest archival board available, if for no other reason than not having to deal with LI.

I buy Rising natural white museum board from Legion Paper. FYI, Legion bought the struggling Rising Mill a few years ago, making a substantial investment in a dwindling market. IMO, Legion deserves to be supported.

Eric Biggerstaff

I think Westminster is simply the LI brand name for the same board sold by other companies and as many have pointed out, Rising is probably the company that supplies it. I have been buying the 4 ply and 2 ply bright white board from Archival Methods for the past couple of years and have been very happy with the quality. For all I know, it is also made by Rising! www.archivalmethods.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com