Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bausch & Lomb Lens Date Code

Bausch & Lomb Lens Date Code

Many of you are aware of the code Kodak used to indicate date of manufacture*. It has been suggested that Bausch & Lomb used a similar code in their serial num bers - but the "key" seems to have been lost. Maybe we can reconstruct it. Her e's what I propose: 1. Those of you who have a B&L lens with a coded serial number (2 letters follo wed by some numbers) send me the _complete_ lens info. For example, I have a le ns labeled "Bausch & Lomb Optical Co. - Rochester, N.Y.,U.S.A. - Gold Dot - Mage nta Dot - Protar V. - 90mm E.F. - f/18 - UF3271". The rear element has a matching serial number (only). Pl ease also include any other info that might help us date the lens: if you are th e original owner, when you purchased it; if your lens is still in its' original box, any other labeling info on the box; any sequence info such as "must be afte r x because of ... but can't be after y because of ...", etc., etc. Please also include any pieces of B&L history or "lore" that might shed light on this proble m.

2. I will collect all your submissions for a few weeks and then re-post them h ere and to the rec.photo.equipment.large-format newsgroup (and perhaps also the cryptology newsgroup)

3. Hopefully a pattern will develop that will help us decode at least part of the sequence.

As you'll notice in my example, I included every piece of info on lens with a "-" between parts of the label. I don't know if there will be any changes in the labeling structure that might help us decode the sequence but, just in c ase, please send it all.

Also it has been suggested that, if the lens is in a shutter, we might be able t o use the shutter info tohelp date it so, if yours is in a shutter please also i nclude; shutter type, size, description, serial number.

If the code is like Kodak's, it's fairly simple - two element, direct substitution, with the second element 1-9 or 0 and the first element 4-9 (the co de isn't reported to have started until after WWII --- anybody know otherwise - or when it stopped?). If we're lucky it might be fairly simple -- like if the s erial numbers don't reset to zero each year. Sound like fun?? Please take a second to help. The larger the "example pool" we have, the better our chances of success. Thanks Brian Downey

* The Kodak code is CAMEROSITY where C=1, A=2, etc. (e.g. a lens with a serial number beginning with RA was manufactured in 1952).

Hello Brian:
    I found your B&L serial # post in the archives, so I don't know if you ever got it solved.
    Anyway, I have a f/5.6 508mm (20 inch) B&L telephoto anastigmat that I'm using on my Agfa/Ansco
    8x10. It has the serial # MS7137R, and I'd love to know its history. It looks like it was made for
    a military or space operation, is huge, and weighs a ton.

Thanks,

MM

Mark, what do you use for a shutter on that monster lens and how well does it shoot?

Cheers,

Dan

Re: Bausch & Lomb Lens Date Code

Wow, someone else has this lens. I have the same Bausch & Lomb Opt. Co Telephoto Anastigmat Focal Length 20 inch (508MM) f/5.6. Serial number of mine is US1616R.

I have read that this lens is from a Korean War era bomber camera. Unfortunately, mine came from a junk yard and although externally is not bent up, it is dirty on the inside and the aperture ring does not work.

baush & lomb telephoto anastigmat 20'' (508mm) f/5.6 #5 universal shutter..app. 2 1/4 lb not to bad. sn# vf7879r. ??? my studio partner of years had this lens, it seems to cover 8x10. I really havent used. all clean and works, only a 1/50 speed. lou.@ photo gizmo, called it a 3rd bace lens. pre-focus and shoot. any way ? any news about this (elvis) hunk a hunk a lens ? thanks

Convert to LF

If not too late:
    B&L Tessar 1c 164mm f 4.5 UF152 in a Betax No 3 shutter

@Maretzo: Well, your lens is from 1942 and the #152 made in that year
    @pin-register: your lens is from 1944 and #7879 made in that year
    @robotnumber10: your lens is from 1942 and #1616 made in that year
    @mark: your's is from 1942 and #7137 made in that year

Hope that helps a bit,

Cheers,
    Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
    http://www.pbase.com/kds315/ for UV Images and lens/filter info
    http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

Ok, Klaus, share the code, direct us to the magic table, or share the magic table with us.

Cheers,

Dan

If your neighbor, the "Zeiss Historical Pesident" does'nt do it, giving a great role model - why should I...??
    give me a bit, I'll make it available, I'm not that type....
    Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
    http://www.pbase.com/kds315/ for UV Images and lens/filter info
    http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

But Klaus, you're not my neighbor. Unlike you, he's never consigned me to the outer darkness.

Cheers,

Dan