Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon CM-W 135mm f5.6

Fujinon CM-W 135mm f5.6

Hi all,
    Could someone give me an indication if this is a good lens for 4x5"? I have a Schneider 90mm f8 Super-Angulon already, plus a 150mm Symmar. I would like to have something in between these focal lengths, preferably with modern multi-coatings. I was looking into 120mm lenses but everything seems to be physically very bulky for field work, and most seem to be f8 rather than f5.6. I was hoping to spend sub $450. Can anyone give me some advise on the models I could be looking into?
    Thanks everyone,
    Tim

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: Fujinon CM-W 135mm f5.6

Great lens, like most modern LF lenses, but 135 is pretty close to 150. Perhaps sell the 150 and step your lenses by about 1.5x ie 90mm, 135mm, 210mm. Working in LF you can afford to crop the 135mm image a bit later anyway, if you need the 150mm angle of view.
    About the only thing I don't like about the CM-W is its big filter size (which matches your 90mm size though). The Fuji NW has a nice 52mm size (from memory) and is a bit more compact with the same performance, but it doesn't really matter, unless you're planning on "travelling light".

Another option would be a 125mm lens perhaps, again Fuji comes to mind. They make a lens very similar in size and performance to the 135mm: The 125mm f5.6 CM-W, but it isn't a very common lens. The older (Fuji) offerings (W and NW) are equally good. A plain old 120mm f6.8 Angulon may also suit.
    Then there is the 110 Super-Symmar XL: Almost insanely expensive and not that small...and its getting a bit close to your 90 now.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

O.K.

I have a Fujinon CM-W 125mm 5.6. It's a fantastic lens with a modern multicoating what Fujinon calls EBC (Electron Beam Coating). I don't think CM-W lenses are second to any other lens designed for the same application by optical quality. They have decent coverages but 135mm version covers a slightly larger area.
    Last edited by redu; 5-Sep-2011 at 04:45.
    The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. Albert Einstein

The 135mm Fuji CM-W is an excellent lens, but I agree that a 120mm and the 125mm might be a better choice for an intermediate focal length given that you have a 90mm and a 150mm. The 125mm Fuji CM-W has almost the same image circle as the 135mm CM-W, as it has 78 degrees of coverage versus 76. You can find the specs here:

http://www.willwilson.com/fujinonlc2.html

The last-gen "NW" version has a little less coverage but uses smaller filters and still has multicoating.

I also used a 120mm Schneider Apo Symmar, and the latest 120 Apo Symmar-L might also be a good choice in a small size.

Cheers, Steve

I have a 120 APO-Symmar (pre "L" version) and I sometimes run out of coverage. If I were looking to get a new (or new-to-me) lens in the 120mm range now, I'd get the Fuji for the greater coverage. I don't use the lens that much, so I'll stick with it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Drew,

That was exactly my experience, and I do like the 120-125mm focal length, so I did end up with the Fuji 125mm.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    The last-gen "NW" version has a little less coverage but uses smaller filters and still has multicoating.
    I have that one and it is a very fine lens - the focal length works good for me. The small size and weight is a bonus.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Thanks everyone for their comments. You are right, I would prefer a 125mm / 120mm lens as not to make the 150mm lens redundant.
    T

Drew Wiley

I have the pre-CMW version of the 125 which takes a 52mm filter. It's multicoated and
    remarkably sharp. The coverage is good enough for general landscape work and
    modest architectural use, but inadequate for significant rise. In other words, it's no
    substitute for a 120 Super-Angulon, but then, it's sharper, way lighter, and doesn't
    have the distortion and falloff issues of a true wide-angle. I'd imagine the 135 would
    be very similar.

I have the 125mm Fuji CM-W, and it is a good lens. The optics makers have known how to make very sharp lenses for over 100 years now. The Fuji does have a large front, 67mm filters, that makes it a little bulky. The front element is somewhat recessed so you have a rather shallow lens hood built in.