Thread: Theft of LF vs 35 mm cameras

Theft of LF vs 35 mm cameras

I am considering getting into LF photography. I find it very interesting that a lmost everyone who doesn't do photography as a hobby or profession seem to think that a LF camera is ancient, old, and even worthless. So, don't you guys feel or even experienced that perhaps LF equipment is much less prone to theft than 3 5 mm gizmos? The market for stolen LF equipment is probably much smaller too, I would guess.

Wierd question, but I guess you're right. Although when given the opportunity, I suspect some folks will steal anything if it's not locked up... I wouldn't count on some junky to be that discriminating.

Decoys do work, though. Someone moved my box of large format equipment (about $3500 with a handle on it) to steal a $150 TV. They can probably get more crack for a TV than a Linhof...t

One of my classmates went to visit a friend at college. While they were out, this guy's apartment was robbed. The crooks stole all of the 35mm equipment but left the guy's hassleblad.

Well, it's not that wierd a question. Although thank God, it hasn't been an issue for me yet. My wife always worries I'll get konked on the head while I'm under the dark cloth. Then again, I don't shoot in Yosemite either. How fast can a thief run with a large format camera, tripod & lens....

The one time I have been burgled (sp?) they took a large format lens but left th e camera and the lens mounted on it; took a color temp meter, but left the flash meter next to it; stole my Norman P2000D but left the heads (which had been plu gged in to the pack). Stole a tripod head but left the tripod. (I am still wonde ring about that one). I don't think most thieves are capable of or if capable of are interested in analysing what they are stealing, or about what the market fo r stuff is, unless they are "shopping." with a specific list. They just grab it and go and if they can't get some money for it dump it.

Hmmmm, so that's why no LF stuff shows up at the local pawn shops....

Yeah I hadn't thought about field work, but I have quit doing my industrial land scape stuff in the city. Maybe I could hang a sign on my butt when under the dar k cloth that said "no radio"...t