Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry mount workflow/technique

Dry mount workflow/technique

I want to dry mount numerous 16x20 prints - I've never dry mounted anything but am reading up on it.

I'm assuming the most efficient way would be to order 16x20 precut gator board and 16x20 precut mount tissue. Does this make sense, or should the tissue be a little bigger than the final product and trimmed?

The print paper is Kodak Endura and it definitely will "wave" if not solidly mounted. And the print will be borderless, flush to the edge of the mounting board.

Thanks,

...Mike

Re: Dry mount workflow/technique

Are all of the prints the same size and orientation?

I would recommend a roll of tissue then mount then trim board.
    It would be awfully frustrating to try and line up everything perfectly.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Are all of the prints the same size and orientation?
    They're all the same size, 16x20. They are not the same image so the orientation won't necessarily be the same. Does orientation matter?

...Mike

I have always tacked the dry mount tissue to the back of the photo, then trimmed it, then tacked the dry mount tissue to the mount board. I also preshrink the photo and mount board in the dry mount press before I dry mount it. If you printed on 16x20 paper then precut 16x20 dry mount tissue would be fine. The mount board should be sized to match the frame.

If I am mounting on foamcore/gaterboard and not framing I trim the assembly after drymounting so that I don't have to fuss with lining everything up perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Roger

I often dry mount several prints in a session. when they are the same size, that is the easiest but the process is the same. 16x20 dry mount tissue is sized slightly larger than the paper. Tack the tissue onto the back of each print. I am careful to leave one edge of the paper clean of the tissue with no overlap so that when I trim the print/tissue combo I have a straight edge to work with. I float the prints so I trim each print to the appropriate size.

Then make sure you measure everything twice. For example, if you leave 3/8" border on the top and sides plus a 1//2 " border on the bottom of the print and you have the bottom mat border slightly thicker than the top mat border then you must measure everything correctly. So assuming a horizontal print that is trimmed to 15x19 and mounted on 20x24 board: 15 + 3/8" on top + 1/2" on bottom = 15 7/8 from 20 inches total = 4 1/8 for the top and bottom. So for this example, you might decide on a 2 inch top mat border and a 2 1/8 bottom border.

Then I cut a jig out of mat board to position each print. A 2 inch top border + 3/8" relief for the float = 2 3/8" x 20" strip of mat board for the jig. Then with a pencil I make marks so that I can center the print easily and tack each print to the board. Then put each item in the dry mount press and then cooling slab in assembly line fashion.

Then I re-measure and go to work on the windows which is the most tedious part. Make sure that you change your blade more often than you think you should. I know some that change the blade after every sheet of mat board. I do it every second sheet for that size. Otherwise you start tearing the window cuts and it ruins an expensive piece of mat board.

Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    I have always tacked the dry mount tissue to the back of the photo, then trimmed it, then tacked the dry mount tissue to the mount board. I also preshrink the photo and mount board in the dry mount press before I dry mount it. If you printed on 16x20 paper then precut 16x20 dry mount tissue would be fine. The mount board should be sized to match the frame.

If I am mounting on foamcore/gaterboard and not framing I trim the assembly after drymounting so that I don't have to fuss with lining everything up perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Roger
    Thanks, it does help. I'd like it to be somewhat presentable unframed, and was thinking pre-trimmed gator board would have a clean enough edge. Are you saying you trim the gator board after mounting, or just trim the tissue and print?

....Mike

Joshua Tree, California

I use 8 ply board, not Gator, as I had some problems with the tissue adhering to the Gator. I use Bienfang Ragmount or Colormount in a Seal press for 1 minute at 180 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Thanks, it does help. I'd like it to be somewhat presentable unframed, and was thinking pre-trimmed gator board would have a clean enough edge. Are you saying you trim the gator board after mounting, or just trim the tissue and print?

....Mike
    Yes I mount the print and then trim it with a straight blade with my mat cutter. I have a Logan Simplex 750. I lay a strip of paper on top of the print to protect it and also hold the cutter with very little downward pressure on the print. I keep the pressure on the guide rail.

Roger

Mike, btw do your prints have boarders that can be trimmed?

Roger