Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manfrotto 234 designed for monopods, usable with LF?

LF nub

Re: Manfrotto 234 designed for monopods, usable with LF?

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    I'm not really looking for the heavy solutions, I already have a heavy 3-way head and big alu tripod that I can use when weight is not an issue. If I was upgrading this I'd probably look at a leveling base and a Manfrotto 410 geared head. D4 looks nice but expensive, and I'd still probably want a leveling base under.

What I'm looking for now is a travel solution matching a CF tripod and lightweight field camera, and I'd like to keep it around 500g or so. What I've seen most people on this forum do is use plain ball heads, but I think LF cameras handle very poorly with those.

The P0 is rated to 14x the weight of the camera so I'm really not concerned about the leverage from the 6cm added by the Manfrotto 234 (many monorails add much more leverage through the height from tripod mount to film/lens).

That is why I wonder if anyone has experience with the Manfrotto 234 or similar light tilt heads?
    I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-494R.../dp/B002WN211Y

I was originally going to purchase the Really Right Stuff BH-25 Pro: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...ith-Pro&key=it

which is almost a pound lighter, but almost 4 times as much once you buy the QR plate to fit your camera. I'm using it with a Toyo 45CF and so far it seems great. If I decide later it weighs more than I prefer, I can still buy the RR Stuff head, but for now, my wallet stays fatter.

LF nub

Also the Manfrotto has a seperate tension adjustment knob which is nice, and I have other Manfrotto gear and it's always been extremely reliable.

Good luck!

Stefan

Thanks for the RRS MH-01 suggestion, that looks like a considerably stronger head than the Manfrotto 234.

Unfortunately, with the needed QR clamp, it is also 10x the cost of the Manfrotto (non-RC), somewhat taller and heavier. Given the low cost of the Manfrotto, I'm now looking at testing the P0+Manfrotto 234 to see how it works out. If the works, it works. If it does not, I'll either scrap the idea and use the P0 head separate, or look at getting the RSS MH-01.

Stefan

Update: I got my P0, and also picked up a Manfrotto 234 for 20$ and gave it a try.

The 234 head itself seems rather capable, but the top platform is simply too small for stability. I might try removing the rubber and finding a way to attach a quick release firmly directly to the metal, but the P0 is working out very well on its own so I might not bother.