Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMax RS developer as "one-shot"

Andrew L

TMax RS developer as "one-shot"

I've looked around quite a bit both on this site and on others through Google but nothing I can find is really clear.

I've been finding my development times on the massive dev chart and my question is based on the stock solution idea that's on there.

As I mentioned in the title, I don't want to use this developer as a replenishment system, I simply want to use it to avoid this dichroic fog that apparently can accompany normal tmax developer used with sheet film. I bought the smaller size at the local photo store, I believe it says it makes a gallon of stock solution. It comes with Part A in a plastic bottle, and Part B in a very small pouch. I believe my first move is to mix B into A, but what about when I want to use the developer?

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...+RS&mdc=Search

...that's the link for using tmax100 along with tmaxRS developer. It mentions a stock dilution. I've heard a lot about 1+9 with this developer, and while the chart mentions 1+9, I don't think that's what I'm looking for. If I have my plastic bottle (~757mL) which includes Part B and Part A, and I want to make the "stock" dilution, do I mix this A+B mix 1+9 with water? I don't want to mix the whole thing in one big gallon jug and would rather mix it from the smaller bottle as I need it. Then I just would be disposing of the used developer after each use.

Thanks!

Andrew

Re: TMax RS developer as "one-shot"

Yes, once you mix A+B, you dilute it to the working solution, which is commonly 1:9. Just mix as needed...

Humm. I've used a tiny graduated cylinder to measure a few ml of part B and mix smaller amounts of working solution when needed. It would be a LOT easier to just dump the little bottle of B (I bought the gallon size so it has 15ml I think of B) into the A bottle and mix. I figured if they were packed separately there was a reason and this would probably negatively impact storage life. Does it keep pretty well if I do this? I'm sure it would be better than mixing the total gallon, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by icanthackit View Post
    If I want to make the “stock” dilution, do I mix this A+B mix 1+9 with water?
    Andrew,

T-Max rs mixing instructions are naturally misleading, but I might have a simple answer for you. Once you mix A+B w/ water per Kodak’s instructions, you’ve created both your 1:9 “working” solution, and/or your 1:9 “stock” solution. I should repeat that: it’s both, and you can use it either way.

Depending on your work habits, you may wish to “mix from concentrate” each session; alternatively, you might mix some for stocking. If for stocking, the next time you need it, you’d simply pull it from the shelf and use it immediately as your 1:9 working solution. No mixing required – that is, unless you want to dilute it further – for example, for compensation effects…

Many people use T-Max rs as a one-shot solution. That is, at the beginning of each session, they mix the appropriate amount directly from the concentrate, or from their stock solution. They might want 1:9, or they might want greater dilution. But in every case, once they’re done, they dispose of the solution. It doesn’t get replenished.

Me, I make stock solutions and use Kodak’s “replenishment” process.

Good for the environment!

I mix A & B together when I open the container and have never had a problem with shelf life. It is my understanding that they are shipped apart because some uses are better without the additive. I mix for each batch of film and discard after each use. It is the way I was taught to achieve the best consistency.

Drew Wiley

I use it one-shot for very critical color separation work with TMax films, where there
    must be absolute repeatability and virtually no fog whatsoever.

With TMAX RS, simply pour the small container into the large container. When you are ready to process, just mix 1:7 or whatever proportion you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by memorris View Post
    I mix A & B together when I open the container and have never had a problem with shelf life. It is my understanding that they are shipped apart because some uses are better without the additive. I mix for each batch of film and discard after each use. It is the way I was taught to achieve the best consistency.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    With TMAX RS, simply pour the small container into the large container. When you are ready to process, just mix 1:7 or whatever proportion you choose.
    Awesome! I never saw the dichroic fog from the regular stuff but always seemed to get nicer results with RS. I can dispense with the little graduated cylinder. Even if it is cool to be able to measure accurately down to a half milliliter, it's still fiddly!

Quote Originally Posted by icanthackit View Post
    ...that's the link for using tmax100 along with tmax rs developer.
    BTW, T-Max 100 + T-Max rs is my “desert island” film/dev combination.

If this combo ever disappeared from the film market, it would be as painful to me as the demise of Polaroid Type 55. I might not be able to survive that kind of blow again!

If you can, be sure to come back & share scans of your film development results, no matter which mixing ratio you use. I’m sure everyone will enjoy the smooth-silky “feel” of your images.

hacker extraordinaire

Once you mix A+B w/ water per Kodak’s instructions, you’ve created both your 1:9 “working” solution, and/or your 1:9 “stock” solution. I should repeat that: it’s both, and you can use it either way.
    So Freeystyle sells Tmax RS "to make 1 gallon". Does that mean it makes 1 gallon, which you can dilute 1:9, or does that mean it makes 1 gallon even after it's been diluted 1:9?

It's like $13, so if that only makes 1 gallon of working solution, that's a pretty expensive developer to use 1-shot.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.