Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Head, 410 or 405?????

Re: Which Head, 410 or 405?????

I've used a 410 for years but with something that weighs about 6 pounds or less. However, Bogen rates the maximum capacity of the 410 at 13.25 pounds. These capacity numbers from all the manufacturers usually seem very conservative to me so I think you'd probably be o.k. with a 14-15 pound outfit on the 410. However, if you take the manufacturer's numbers as gospel then you'd want something rated higher.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a 410 and love it for 4x5 use. I've used a for 8x10 a number of times and it works fine, basically. If there is an issue, I would say it might be with the QR plate and its somewhat small size, where a camera with a large base will have some wobble. The 405, though, would be overkill for any 4x5, IMO
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Octogenarian

John Koehrer,

In the early 1990's, Manfrotto purchased Gitzo and also bought out Lester Bogen.

Gitzo of France and Manfrotto of Italy are now one large company owned by The Vitek Group in the UK.

Manfrotto distributes its own products in the USA. Bogen is out of the picture.

What I was attempting to say is that Gitzo is their higher end product.

I've been using a 405 with a Sinar X and a Betterlight scan back on a large Slik CF tripod for the past five years. I am very happy with it. I briefly considered selling it, and tried to use a regular 3-way head, but I don't think I can go back to a non-geared head.

Kumar

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Another 410 user here - I use this for my Shen Hao 4x5 and Arca Swiss 4x5 view camera (the "A" Basic) and it's a beautiful piece of kit. I wouldn't use it with my 8x10 as it's a Plaubel Peco Profia and weighs a tonne.
    I swear by the precision of the geared head, but mostly with my digi kit and MF cameras.
    I like a ball head with my LF kit, but then again the 410 is sturdy and very stable with no possibility of slippage.
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Quote Originally Posted by wista45 View Post
    nevermind, it weighs about 6.4 sans lens. its a wista 45sp. i think im leaning more towards the 410 due to the fact that ill be travelinig/hiking with the setup alot. can anyone confirm the rumor i hear of nylon gearing on the 410? if i am going to make the investment i want a piece that will last.

lenser i worry that the reason reason yours has lasted 20 years is because it was made 20 years ago, anyone have more recent experience with the 405?
    I've had my 410 for about 12 or so years. While I don't use it daily or even weekly, it's seen plenty of use and still works fine though it doesn't look real pretty any more. I'm not sure what rumor about nylon gearing you're talking about, if it's supposed to be a problem it hasn't been with mine.

With all due respect, if you photograph much at all you're going to spend more money on film and maybe processing in fairly short order than you'll spend on the 410 so I wouldn't worry too much about the investment aspect of it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.