Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Head, 410 or 405?????

Which Head, 410 or 405?????

So I just aquired a wista 45 and i am looking for a nice geared head. I've used a friends 410 and love the geared head setup but im not sure if the 410 is heavy duty enough for my camera which weighs in at about 14-15 pounds all set up. Is the 405 worth the extra loot. I've seen tons of post say the 410 is great but not many from people who have used the 405. anyone have any experience that can help me decide one way or another? hurry i need to starting using my wista before i go nuts! btw ill be using it on the 055XPROB if that really matters. 405 might add too much weight for those legs?

any advice is greatly appreciated, hope i can tap into the wealth of knowledge here at LFPF.

Re: Which Head, 410 or 405?????

p.s. also open to any other suggestions as to geared heads that are out there, just havent found much else out there for a reasonable price...

the only reasonably priced geared head is the majestic, which weighs a ton and is only geared in one direction, does not have fine adjustment, and is VERY heavy duty. Used price ~$100

I use one to hold up a Calumet C-1 (which is possibly the most unwieldy camera around).
    Last edited by David de Gruyl; 15-Mar-2011 at 12:06. Reason: added price.

really looking for a fully geared head not just one way, thanks for the input though

I was mostly trying to talk you out of even thinking about the majestic. It works, but only for the most monsterous of cameras.

Are you sure the camera + lens is that heavy? Seems like a lot of lens on a 6 lb camera. (unless I am getting the wrong camera: it is a field 4x5, right?)

I recently ordered a 405 from B&H. Until you see it in person you may not be aware of just how huge it is. Really big. And I wasn't overly impressed with its rigidity. Perhaps it needed to be tightened up (I couldn't risk removing the plastic covers to tighten the mechanism since then I couldn't have returned it.), but it seemed like the metal actually flexed quite a bit. I promptly returned it and ordered a 410.

I've been using the 410 with my Technikardan 4x5 (around 7.7 pounds plus some pretty big lenses (115 grandagon, etc.). It works great. It could be sample variation but it seems much more solid than the larger 405, which doesn't make sense but it was certainly my experience.

I'm not familiar with the camera you're talking about. I previously used a wista metal field (45VX) that I think was around 6.5 pounds. The 410 worked great for that camera as well, though the Technikardan is heavier and has a higher profile so it's more of a test. But as I said, with the TK it's a brilliant head. It's a good balance of size, weight and performance and while I wouldn't say it's as solid as an arca ballhead, it has seemed to hold my camera well enough for sharp negs even in tough windy conditions.

I will never use a ballhead again for LF. Ever.

Of course, the Arca Cube is probably the best geared head, but it comes at a hefty cost.

Octogenarian

The 410, weighs 2.7 lbs, and is priced around $200.

The 405 weighs 5.3 lbs, and lists for twice the price of the 410.

The 410 is strong enough to support any 4x5 field camera, wood or metal, that Wista makes, and is a better match for your tripod legs.

I am using a Manfrotto 804 RC2 pan head, on 055XPROB legs, to support a heavy medium format camera. Works great.

I've used the same 405 head for nearly 20 years without incident. It is light weight, solid as can be, the quick release plate locks on very tightly even with heavier cameras, and the gearing works very well in both gross and micro movements.

I routinely use a Zone VI with heavy lenses (including in straight down vertical positions) and have used it with my Cambo SCX (much heavier) without difficulties. It also works quite well with either medium or 35mm (or digital) format systems.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    The 410, weighs 2.7 lbs, and is priced around $200.

The 405 weighs 5.3 lbs, and lists for twice the price of the 410.

The 410 is strong enough to support any 4x5 field camera, wood or metal, that Wista makes, and is a better match for your tripod legs.
    ditto
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

WG

I have and use the 405 with my 4x5 and 8x10. I can't imagine using the smaller 410 with my 8x10. It is really a lot smaller and I don't believe is rated for the weight of most 4x5's or any 8x10's. I know I've heard many hear say the 410 is sufficient but I think the 405 is a great head and your best bet. It should be the only head you'll ever need!