Thread: Looking for an excellent Film Lab in Portland Oregon

Looking for an excellent Film Lab in Portland Oregon

I live in a small town and do not have access to a film lab that can do 4x5 Velv ia and Provia. I live about 4 hours way and will most likely have to mail my fi lm sheets to them. I'm not really too concerned on price per sheet for developm ent. I'm really looking for quality work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas: I would visit or call professional photographers in your area, expecially commercial photographers who do a lot of transparency work. You might have to call photographers in Portland if your town does not have any. Most pros are helpful if you can catch them when they aren't too busy. Also, when you get suggestions on a good lab, visit them and talk to the people there and explain what you want. Good communication with your lab is very important. You can't ask for them to read your mind about what you want when you send your stuff in.

Hi Thomas,

I've been using PhotoCraft in Portland for over four years for developing 4x5 E-6 (Velvia). In that time, I have not had a single problem. Their standard over-the-counter rate is $2.70/sheet, but they offer very substantial discounts if you qualify for a commercial account. One of the things I really like about them (although this will not apply to you) is that they pick-up and deliver to my front door Monday - Friday at no extra charge. I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you on sending/receiving your film through the mail. They phone number is: 503-225-0515.

Good luck, Kerry

I also use Photocraft on a regular basis for both negative and transparency sheet film, and I've had good luck. Unless you use them commercially (lower limit of $1000 annually, or something), they're expensive. Another option is to send your film to photo dealer that sends to them. Two possibilities are Camera World or U-Develop.

Another possibility is Wy'East on Corbett. They're about the largest in the Portland area.

Thomas,

I moved 3 hours away from Portland last year into the woods of central Oregon. Bend has very few resources for film, processing, and printing. So I have gotten used to UPSing to my favorite lab, Pro Lab Northwest. They are a smaller lab with good prices, great people to deal with. For printing, I use U-Develop, Chris is the best printer I have found. Wyeast(literally only 100 yards from U-D) is very good, a very large lab, not quite as personal. I also agree with others that PhotoCraft, downtown is also very good, many pros use them. But all in all, I prefer Pro Lab NW, again, nice accomodating, efficient people. Oh, yeah, if you live close to Eugene, I hear many Central Oregon photographers(and labs) send their work there, not sure of the place though. I will find out where in Eugene if you like, let me know...

Good Luck, Gary