Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your “call it quits” moment is coming – here’s what to do about it

ARS KC2UU

Re: Your “call it quits” moment is coming – here’s what to do about it

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Be brave, face this fact: some day, you’ll have to say “good-bye” to field work or studio work – even if you keep reading or thinking or browsing or visiting museums about it...

...Will you participate here to keep in touch w/ others who are still active? Might you sever ties w/ the LF field altogether?
    Heroique:

You're not planning to "check out" soon are you?

I recently reached a (somewhat similar) milestone of my own.

After 39-years lifting weights I had to give up bench-pressing 300 lbs and other similar exercises in the gym. On my small (and now aging) body frame the stress was crushing the carpal bones in my wrists and stretching out the ligaments. Doctors told me I had to stop or face serious wrist surgery.

So I devised alternative ways of exercising the muscles without tearing myself apart. And a year later (so far) I can still load LF film holders in a changing tent.

Bottom line is one has to find ways to keep on going with what one enjoys... or become like so many who retire in front of "the tube" and become mental and physical vegetables

My opinion.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

You guys are getting too heavy. It's time to relax and enjoy life - to take the camera out and and get some images that will get the ol' juices flowing again. In the meantime here's a "senior citizen joke" that my old company commander in Vietnam (B Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry) forwarded to me last week. He must be in his eighties by now.

BEST EVER SENIOR CITIZEN JOKE

A little silver-haired lady calls her neighbor and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get started."

Her neighbor asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

The little silver haired lady says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a rooster."

Her neighbor decides to go over and help with the puzzle.

She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table.

He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns to her and says,

"First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a rooster."

He takes her hand and says, "Secondly, I want you to relax. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then," he said with a deep sigh ............

(scroll down)*

"Let's put all the Corn Flakes back in the box."

Thomas

The bigger question is what the hell am I going to do about the fuzz that collects in my navel. Should I buy a bowl and keep it. Maybe if I keep enough of it I can turn it back into cotton and make thread and eventually make another T-shirt and start the whole process over.

The only good thing I can see, is that my navel seems to be getting closer to my eyes so it's easier and easier to gaze into it.

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Heroique: You're not planning to “check out” soon are you?
    Not until I have to!

When I can no longer carry my sexy Ries w/ me, it will be like abandoning my beloved.

That’s when I call it quits.

I had to give up largeformat for awhile because I didn't have enough money to feed a camera that was actually worth more than my car, so it had to go. At the time I scaled my photography back, but no need to quit all together.

Well, funny you should ask.

As this very day may well be the last day I own a view camera in 35 odd years, this thread is timely indeed (I shipped my 7x17 to a fellow in Hawaii and it is being delivered today... "sale pending".) I may well be camera-less tonight and I've sold/will sell most everything else too.

So yeah. I am out of the game. I'm a case of running on empty, no more air in the tires, my get-up&go got-up&went. The fire is out. The passion deader than a door knob. I finally realized that 99.999% of people don't give a flying crap about fine art photography and I fear I am now one of them.

Meanwhile, I have taken up music in a big way and I am a far better guitar player than I was a photographer so it's all good.

Preston Birdwell

I used to be a passionate free climber and alpinist until I suffered from severe tendonitis in my right elbow. The doc told me that if I wanted to keep carrying a camera around and playing guitar, I really needed to stay off the rock. I still look at the East Buttress of Middle Cathedral, the West Buttress of El Cap and many others too numerous to name, with longing. Though I can't grab the rock or hack ice anymore, I have the memories that sustain that piece of me: I am a mountain bum at heart.

I will continue to explore my photographic vision and my music until such time as I can no longer do so. Will it be a loss? Sure. However, as long as I can sit and watch a hawk spin lazily in the sky above the mountains, it's all good.

As Winston Churchill said during the Battle of Britain, "Never, ever, give up!"

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I used to be a working musician, until circumstances and general disgust with the business caused me to put down the axe. For years I got by without even listening to music - I considered myself "retired".

Then, recently, the spark has re-lit, and I'm in love with playing music again. Funny how that happens.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Back in January the good Captian - now a retired Colonel - forwarded to me a Power Point Presentation entitled "Philosophy for Old Age." Each of the quotes reproduced below was embossed over an excellent color landscape photograph and each of the quotes ring true. If anyone wants the original power point presentation, send me your E-mail address and I will forward it to you.

Do you realise that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids?
    If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about ageing that you think in fractions

'How old are you?' 'I'm four and a half!' You're never thirty-six and a half.
    You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.

'How old are you?'
    'I'm gonna be 16!' You could be 13,
    but hey, you're gonna be 16!
    And then the greatest day of your life ...... .
    You become 21....YESSS!!!

Even the words sound like a ceremony.

But then you turn 30. Oooohh,
    what happened there?
    Makes you sound like bad milk!
    He TURNED; we had to throw him out.
    There's no fun now, you're Just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30,
    then you're PUSHING 40.... Whoa!
    Put on the brakes,
    it's all slipping away.
    Before you know it, you REACH 50 and your dreams are gone

But wait!!!
    You MAKE it to 60.
    You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21
    TURN 30, REACH 50
    and MAKE it to 60

You've built-up so much speed that you HIT 70!
    After that it's a day-by-day thing:
    You HIT Monday, March 14, 2011!

You get into your 80's and every day
    is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you
    TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime.

And it doesn't end there Into the 90s,
    you start going backwards;
    'I was JUST 92.'

The a strange thing happens.
    If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again.
    'I'm a hundred and a half!!'

How to Stay Young

1.Throw out nonessential numbers.
    This includes age, weight and height.
    Let the doctors worry about them.
    This is why you pay 'them.'

2.Keep only cheerful friends.
    The grouches pull you down.

3.Keep Learning.
    Learn more about the computer, crafts,
    gardening, whatever...Never let the
    brain idle. 'An idle mind is the devils
    workshop.' And the devils name is
    Alzheimer's.

4.Enjoy the simple things.

5.Laugh often, long and loud.
    Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6.The tears happen. Endure,
    grieve, and move on. The only person,
    who is with us our entire life, is
    ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are
    alive.

7.Surround yourself with what you love,
    whether its family, pets, keepsakes,
    music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your
    home is your refuge.

8.Cherish your health:
    If it is good, preserve it. If it is
    unstable, improve it. If it is beyond
    what you can improve, get help.

9.Don't take guilt trips.
    Take a trip to the mall, even to
    the next country but NOT to where
    the guilt is.

10.Tell the people that you love them,
    at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:
    Life is not measured by the number of
    breaths we take, but by the moments
    that take our breath away.

See you again!!!

ARS KC2UU

Crocodile Dundee had it right... didn't know what time it was / how old he was... and didn't care. A good way to be.

Me... I threw away my wrist watch ca. 1975 and never bought another... rarely look at a clock and basically don't care what time it is or how old I am. Others over the years have seemed to worry more about my timeliness than me.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.