Thread: Nikkor Process lens

Nikkor Process lens

I'm looking at a Nikkor 260mm process lens. I need high definition for closeup w ork, but also want good performance at infinity.Is this the right choice, and if not can someone suggest better choices? I'm shooting 4x5 with a Crown Graflex a nd Sinar F2 w/Auto aperture shutter. Thanks in advance for your help and sugges tions. Wil

Nikkor Process lens

Wil: I used one of these for awhile on an 8x10 and found it to be sharp at all distances. I assume the lens you are talking about is the big monster...that is what I had. If you can get it cheap, it will probably be o.k., but big for the Crown Graphic. There are better choices. I have the feeling that, in general, regular taking lenses are better closeup than process lenses are at infinity. My opinion, which you can put with a dollar and get a cup of coffee. Good Shooting,

Nikkor Process lens

Greetings Wil,

I can second doug's comments. I have a 300mm Nikkor process lens and it's very sharp, but it's also big; it takes a Copal 3 shutter. You may want to check if your Crown can handle the size and has sufficient bellows draw for what you want to do.

Regards,

Nikkor Process lens

Thanks, you Guys are wonderful. How would you compare a Nikkor process lens to a G Claron? I plan to use this lens on the Sinar so size isn't a problem.Doug ,I see you haven't been to Starbucks! Thanks Again, Wil

Nikkor Process lens

The Nikkor 260mm process lens won't work on your Crown Graphic. I own one, and it does not have enough bellows draw to hit 1:1 (520mm required). I measure 323mm maximum bellows draw on my Crown, flange to film plane.

I have a new Apo Sironar S 210mm on my Crown now, and it gobbles up most of the lens board, and is only in a Copal #1 shutter. If you go longer, you will be restricted to non-plasmat lenses to avoid the #3 shutter size. An Apo-Ronar 240 or Fuji-A in 240mm would be my choices. Personally, I don't care for the MTF charts of the G-Claron series... they indicate too much image quality deterioration beyond 60% of the image circle.

For closeups, consider an adapter ring to mount a 39mm Leica threaded enlarging lens to a Copal #1 shutter. I am having one made by SK Grimes for approximately $50. I recently saw an ad for ready made adapters for $20, but will have to dig out the URL from my office machine.