Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite lenses for 8x10" vs. 4x10"

Re: Favourite lenses for 8x10" vs. 4x10"

I shoot both formats as well, but just use a modified dark slide to get two 4x10 negs on a single sheet of 8x10 film. I do not use a wide angle much, but will occasionally use a 165mm and a 210mm with 4x10, otherwise I use the 300mm. For distant panoramic views I have used the 19" with 4x10 (and even a 24").

A two-lens kit for me (using it on both formats) would be the 210 and the 300. The first addition would be the 19", then the 165mm.

Vaughn

That's a startpoint, thanks!

For 4x10" it would be:
    Rodenstock Sironar-S 210 -> small, high-quality, sufficient IC
    Schneider 350 Compact -> small, high-quality?

For 8x10" I'm uncertain:
    Sironar-N 300 -> my only lens so far, like the angle of view
    but what lens to complement?
    210mm ? huge beasts, already to wide?
    And no longer focal length at all?

So I would prefer Sironar-S 240 + Apo-Symmar 480mm -> 2x factor is ideal from my experience, but the 480 is already a 1.5kg monster... Is a small tele (30 years old designs?) really sufficient? Does it matter carrying around a 15kg rucksack? When is a little bit more simply too much?

I know: try it out... A learning curve will be there, but what about doing it right from the start - just this time.... ;-)

Yes, it sounds so obvious, an 8x10" camera can also be used as 4x10"... but a few things come along, it starts with the favourite rucksack I would like to buy for it - 4x10" fits perfectly with holders, 8x10" is 1.5cm too wide on one side and I'm not sure where to put the holders... Then the larger lenses with less quality... So again 4x10" comes to mind...
    But on the other side, is that reason enough to "skip" half the format and choose the less versatile panoramic aspect ratio?

"I know: try it out... A learning curve will be there, but what about doing it right from the start - just this time.... ;-)"

When you figure out what is "right", please let us all know

If this were engineering, most of us wouldn't be here.

Make yourself a viewing card with the 4x10 aspect ratio. Walk around and view thru it with the card at different distances from your eye. Not perfect, but you'll get an idea pretty quick.

There is no right way to do it correctly from the start. It's all trial and error.

3d Visual Effects artist

I like 240 and 450 for 8x10 and masked 4x10. I used light weight lenses, 240 g-claron and 450 fujinon-c

Really just depends on what you like though.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    I have finally decided to acquire a large format setup, I still cannot decide whether I stick with 8x10" or choose 4x10" - maybe the lens-question would make it easier?

I've bought a cheap Sironar-N 300 to play around with 8x10" - I like the focal length but I wonder how a two-lens setup might work!?

240 + 480 -> slightly shorter and longer?
    210 + 300 -> no need for longer lenses anyway?

The 240s don't have much room for shifting...
    The 1kg 300mm Sironar is fine regarding size + weight, but the 210XL or 480mm-lenses don't sound as nice... So rather an older and slower Tele-design?

Anything entirely different?

The lenses should be as sharp and contrasty as possible, it would be nice if I could use f16 at times to avoid diffraction without loosing too much off-axis performance.

4x10" seems much easier regarding lens-choice. The Sironar-S 210 and the Schneider 350 Compact (I have never seen similar MTF to the 210 with this IC) - any experience with them?

I'm tempted by the panoramic format - but I have a hard time understanding focal length with it - how has it affected your focal length-choice? Same horizontal angle but narrower vertical angle? Vice versa? Something in-between?

Maybe I have overlooked something!?

Thank you!
    I have both vertical 4x10 and horizontal 4x10 camera systems. They each have their own backpack and film holders. That makes it real easy when I find what I want to photograph. . .I just grab the appropriate backpack. The 4x10 horizontal is a Canham and that backpack has a 6 1/2" WA Dagor, 240 G Claron, 305 G Claron, 16 1/2" Apo Artar and a 24" Apo Artar. The Canham bellows will extend to 27" which accommodates the 24" Apo Artar. The 4x10 Vertical was made by my husband, JB. That backpack contains a 120 Super Angulon, 210 Apo Symmar and a 19" Artar. I've been shooting 4x10 for 10 years and I love it. My 8x10 has been retired for 2 years now and I am exclusive panoramic format. Most of my shots are made with either the 6 1/2" WA Dagor, 240 G Claron or 305 G Claron. If I am making a shot that is within 100 yards of the vehicle, I will pull out the 8x20 camera. Depending upon what I am shooting, it will either be the 8x20 Wisner horizontal or the 8x20 vertical that JB made. I use a modified Zone VI viewing filter that is framed for the panoramic format.
    Susan

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Listen to Susan. She is the pro.

One camera for vertical, one for horizontal? Two backpacks? That's commitment to the art!
    I've also wondered about this issue but couldn't find a L-plate for 4x10", I even mailed RRS that there might be a market for it.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    One camera for vertical, one for horizontal? Two backpacks? That's commitment to the art!
    I've also wondered about this issue but couldn't find a L-plate for 4x10", I even mailed RRS that there might be a market for it.
    any metal worker worth his or her salt could knock up an L plate in no time. $30
    through a glass darkly...

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    but just use a modified dark slide to get two 4x10 negs on a single sheet of 8x10 film.

Vaughn

Hi Vaughn, I am very interested in your dark slides.

Is there any chance you could post an image or a explanation on how to go about making or getting them made?

thanks very much!

Andrew
    through a glass darkly...