Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from NZ

Greetings from NZ

Hi!

I figured before I made any posts I might as well introduce myself here. So, I am Michael, I am 17, and I come from Canterbury, NZ. I'm looking to get into large format, but I still have some saving to do

Anyways, I'm hoping to do landscape work on 4x5, I'm looking at maybe a Calumet CC-400.

I know that there are some members here also from the land of the long white cloud, so I will pose a question: Where do you guys get sheet film in NZ? Where is cheapest? (cheap being, unfortunately, relative)

Re: Greetings from NZ

Alpacaman,
    Welcome from a fellow (Canuck) Kiwi. I asked the same question. Answer seemed to be buy from B&H, Freestyle, etc. in USA and have them mail it to you. Good luck.

That seems to be worth a shot, and they look like they have a much much much better variety of films too (yay!).

... that shipping isn't exactly cheap (boo!) but if buy lots at once (i.e. I actually get myself organised - a rare thing) maybe I can absorb it.

Thanks - I'll most likely try that then!

I once asked at photo.co.nz and they told me just to get it overseas because that is where they would be getting it anyway. I use B&H. Keep your order below NZD400 including shipping and you wont pay GST or the biosecurity levy etc. Freestyle may be better because I believe they have cheaper shipping options, but I have not tried them yet.
    Also, Shanghai film is available on ebay and I have seen it on trademe. I have some and it is fine.

I could lend you a camera, lens and film holders for 6 months or so. You pay postage both ways. You need a sturdy tripod and head. It is a 5x7 Kodak 2D with a 4x5 back, so not light, but a really nice camera to use and enough to give you an idea of what you want to do.

Welcome to group therapy! The Calumet 400 you mentioned is a very fine starting camera and they sell at very reasonable prices; they have full movements and are quite strong and sturdy. At the same time, that is one heck of a generous offer David made you and would allow you to save up a bit longer while getting your feet wet in LF!

Ohhh! I will accept this fantastic offer Thanks so much!

My PM does not seem to be working (it says I do not have permission... does it work on these forums?) do you have an email we could use to orchestrate this?

Ok. But there are conditions.
    1. You pick it up from Richard Mahoney (provided he agrees) in Oxford, so I know who it is going to and you can get a little help if you need it and he is prepared to provide it.
    2. 6 months only. I am keeping this camera because I really like using it.
    3. It will not leave here until the end of next week. I have one other and it is stuck in customs at the moment.
    I will try to pm you my email.

Certainly!

Ross

Michael, you may like to check and compare Vanbar in Melbourne for a small choice of 4x5 film. The problem for us down under with the otherwise great Freestyle is that they only ship via Priority airmail which is quite expensive. I'd imagine that shipping from
    Oz is cheaper.
    Vanbar also have Toyo 45CX cameras on sale (see the opening page) for AUD 660. Not the most ideal camera for trampers, it's a monorail, but for what it's worth.

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php
    Last edited by Ross Chambers; 9-Mar-2011 at 00:08. Reason: Forgot to add URL